Terms and Conditions
Location: Remote / Work from home Working Hours: 10 hours per week Start Date: September 2014 Travel: Sporadic travel may be required. Possibility of optional travel to project sites Salary: Negotiable but Volunteers encouraged (all management staff are currently volunteers but you may propose an hourly rate on the application form)
About Frontline Conservation
Frontline Conservation (previously the Heart of Borneo Project) is an exciting UK registered NGO working primarily in Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo, to protect the ecological and cultural heritage of the remaining rainforests from destruction. We combine science and the media to discover, educate, and inspire.
Our main strategy is to use high profile expeditions to vulnerable areas, creating a platform for local, national, and international engagement on the issues at hand. We believe in Intelligent Conservation, focusing on unique and vulnerable areas where we’re confident we can have a significant impact.
This year we’re growing our Management Team – a small group of passionate and committed people who are central to the design, implementation, and success of our projects.
You will lead the development, implementation, and management of our communications strategies to build the profile of our organisation and help drive successful projects, campaigns, events, and fundraising initiatives.
You will manage all aspects and channels of our communications program, including but not limited to social media, website content, digital newsletters, publications and reports, branding, promotional activities, internal communications, press releases, and partner/sponsor relations.
You will work with staff, volunteers and interns to develop strategies, metrics, and systems to achieve goals and targets associated with every area of the organisation.
You will work closely with the Fundraising Manager (recruiting in 2014/15), and we will consider combining these two roles if the candidate meets the description for both positions.
This is more than a job – it’s a calling. We are looking for someone who will be committed to our cause and excited by the opportunities as we grow. You will be central to creating that growth, and will be rewarded for success with increased hours, opportunities to visit and work on our projects in the field, and the potential for promotion.
You are passionate about protecting the environment, a natural campaigner, and you love using technology and social media to tell stories. Ideally you have a background in conservation, biology, ecology, or a related field. You are a self-starter, ambitious, highly creative, bold, and have a proven track record. You can’t wait for the creative freedom and responsibility that this role will give you.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of effective communications strategies for the organisation, campaigns, projects, and events, and align these strategies with the goals and mission of the organisation
- Engage proactively with staff, partners, sponsors, and volunteers to ascertain needs, share information, knowledge and tools, and to enhance their own communication skills and effectiveness
- Write, produce, commission, and curate relevant multimedia content for our website, maintain our existing website(s) and contribute to the design and development of new and/or existing websites
- Advise on and assist with our rebranding to Frontline Conservation
- Manage all of our social media channels according to our communications strategies, identify and adopt new channels as they arise, and assist staff and volunteers in the effective use of these mediums
- Design, write, and curate content for our newsletters to supporters, donors, and volunteers, and grow our email list
- Write, curate, and disseminate press releases, articles, editorials, and grow and maintain a database of press and media contacts and outlets
- Develop and maintain our volunteer database
- Support sponsor, major donor, and partner communications and relationship management
- Oversee the design and production of internal and external reports and publications (eg Annual Reports and Expedition Reports)
- Design and implement systems for capturing and cataloguing the various media from expeditions, projects, events, etc
- Work with staff, interns, and volunteers to develop multilingual communications projects
- Additional tasks as agreed with the Directors
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
As well as demonstrating the passion for conservation and communications outlined above, the successful candidate has proven experience and competence in the following:
Education & Training
- Proven and demonstrable knowledge and experience in both communications and conservation, either through education or work experience but preferably both
- Master’s degree in either communications or conservation or a related field (e.g. marketing, journalism, public relations, biology, environmental management, sustainable development, etc)
- At least 5 years professional experience in communications work related to the responsibilities of this position
- At least 2 years of experience in supervising project teams
- Previous experience of working for or with an NGO, preferably in the environmental sector and in a role relevant to this position
- Experience in the design, implementation and management of communications strategies linked to specific measurable targets and goals
- Extensive project management experience
- Excellent time management skills
- Proactive approach to work
- Proven ability to work remotely with only limited virtual contact with team members
- Experience in communicating with the media and building strong working relationships
- Experience building and maintaining databases of information
- Experience in producing and editing written, audio, and visual media
- Proposal and report writing skills
- Budget management skills
- Design skills
- Fluency in English
- Indonesian is a plus
- Highly skilled in standard software packages
- Experience using online project management and collaboration products
- Experience using WordPress
- Exemplary verbal and written communications skills
- Experience working within a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, interdisciplinary, global team
- Experience managing volunteers