59557 UNV Disaster Risk Reduction Associate - (for Indonesian Nationality only) - Jakarta, INDONESIA
Advertised on behalf of : United Nations Volunteers
Location : Jakarta, INDONESIA
Application Deadline : 10-Sep-15
Type of Contract : UNV
Post Level : UNV
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : 12 months
UNV Strategic Framework (SF) 2014-2017 articulates the scope and dimensions of UNV's strategic direction, results and associated resource requirements over a four-year period.
Based on the global context outlined in the SF and UNV's expanded mandate, track record and expertise, UNV will intentionally direct its efforts and programme resources into five priority areas where volunteerism has a transformational and cumulative impact on the lives of people: (i) basic social services; (ii) community resilience for environment and disaster risk reduction; (iii) peace-building and peace-keeping; (iv) youth; and (v) national capacity development through volunteer schemes.
The present regional project aims to support the United Nations Plan of Action on Disaster Risk Reduction for Resilience in South-East Asia and Pacific through volunteerism in a number of countries that were affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004. The scope of the regional project is to allow the organisation to deliver its results in community resilience for environment and disaster risk reduction, in accordance with the individual requirements of programme countries and partners, by supporting up to six UN Resident Coordinators, their offices and UNCTs, with one international and, wherever feasible, one national UN Volunteer specialists in DRR, as well as establishing a results and resources framework to guide regional and country-specific initiatives in support of national/regional efforts and UN engagement in disaster risk reduction.
The Resident Coordinator (RC) system encompasses all organizations of the United Nations system dealing with operational activities for development, regardless of their formal presence in the country. The RC system aims to bring together the different UN agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational activities at the country level.
Resident Coordinators, who are funded and managed by UNDP, lead UN country teams in more than 130 countries and are the designated representatives of the Secretary-General for development operations. Working closely with national governments, Resident Coordinators and country teams advocate the interests and mandates of the UN system while drawing on the support and guidance of the entire UN family.
Coordinating development operations promotes more strategic support for national plans and priorities, makes operations more efficient and reduces transaction costs for governments. This helps the UN to be a more relevant and reliable partner for governments.
The United Nations Volunteers programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision and guidance of the International UN Volunteer Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist, the National UN Volunteer will support the UNV project Support to United Nations Plan of Action on Disaster Risk Reduction for Resilience in South-East Asia and Pacific. Specifically, she/he will be required to perform the following functions:
- Facilitate the operational management of project, including:
- Collect, analyse and present information on emerging disasters and its impact
- Assist in day-to-day project management activities
- Assist in classification and maintenance of all materials and administrative documents
- Assist in programme planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Collect information and support preparation of planning and reporting documents;
- Prepare activities proposal, meeting minutes and other supporting documents
- Provide logistic support for missions, events, workshops, etc.
- Undertake any other tasks as directed by the Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist and UNV management
Promotion of Volunteerism
- Identify interlinkages between women, youth, people with disabilities and marginalized people voluntary actions on disaster risk reduction and its contribution to build resilience communities
- Give visibility to women, youth, people with disabilities and marginalized people contributions through civil engagement to demonstrate their strategic role and contribution to DRR and response to disasters.
- Promote women, youth, people with disabilities and marginalized people volunteering through civic engagement in order to have a multiplier effect, expanding participation and involving larger numbers of people who have traditionally been excluded.
Advocacy and partnerships building
- Facilitate communication with UN agencies as well as external partners
- Prepare newsletter and other communication pieces
- Update webpage information on concerned initiatives
- Proactively work with different partners
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities;
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly arrived UN Volunteers if required;
- Promote and advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, and encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service when desired.
- Effective implementation of the project to achieve expected outputs;
- Improved communication with various partners;
- Enhanced capacity of risk assessments, risk reduction and early warning efforts in pilot areas;
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in social sciences, economics, Disaster Risk Management, development studies, natural resource management, or a related field;
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a disaster related field such as agriculture and rural development, water resources management, poverty reduction, environment, emergency management, and with demonstrated interests in disaster risk reduction and sustainable development.
- Experience working using participatory approaches, is an advantage;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to draft clearly and succinctly in English;
- Detail-oriented and excellent at multi-tasking;
- High degree of independence, creativity and ability to motivate;
- Good command of MS Office;
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and against tight deadlines;
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking abilities;
- Excellent communication and problem management skills;
- A proactive, participatory and result oriented approach to their work;
- Commitment to Knowledge Sharing/Continuous Learning.
The position will be based in the capital, Jakarta, where basic living needs, including accommodation, banking facilities, medical facilities and telecommunications/internet services are readily available. All staple foods can be found in the markets, eg: rice, meat, vegetables, fruit, cooking oil, salt, etc. Many imported goods are available in Jakarta and other places throughout Indonesia. Jakarta has many good restaurants with good health standards and most guesthouses provide food. In Indonesia the most used means of transportation are taxi or local bus. Mobile phone is the most dependable tool to be in-touch with colleagues and friends. Internet service is readily available and affordable at most places.
Conditions of Service
A 12 month contract; monthly Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) intended to cover basic needs, accommodation and utilities, equivalent to IDR4,420,000/month. In addition, the UN Volunteer will receive a settling in grant (if applicable); life, health and permanent disability insurance, and end-of-assignment allowance will also be provided, along with travel to and from the duty station(if applicable). All UN Volunteers follow the Conditions of Service for international UN Volunteers.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Closing date: Thursday, 10 September 2015
Follow Us By Email
Jika Anda Membutuhkan Informasi Kerja Ngo click here, Terima kasih Telah Berlangganan Via Email.