Position / Job Title: Emergency Capacity Building Manager
Location of work: Jakarta
Level / Grade: Manager Level J (based on experience)
Contract Duration: 12 months with extension
Report to: Disaster Management Program Coordinator
Summary of Position
Organizational Context - The American Red Cross (Amcross) helps vulnerable people around the world to prevent, prepare for and respond to disasters, complex humanitarian emergencies and life-threatening health conditions. It is a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and works closely with Palang Merah Indonesia (PMI). Currently Amcross supports programs in Aceh, Jakarta, West and Central Java, Bali and NTB (Lombok). Amcross works with the Indonesia Red Cross (PMI) focusing on 3 program sectors: Disaster Management, Health, and Organizational Development.
Programmatic Context – This position will be responsible to provide technical management support for the project: “Indonesian Disaster Management and Logistics Readiness - Emergency Water Supply and Strengthening Regional Logistics Capacity Project”. This PMI-ARC funded Project seeks to provide assistance to drought affected populations and improved PMI disaster response capacity and improved coordination among key stakeholders during short-term El Niño-related drought, and related and longer term disaster management situations. The projects components include emergency response program responding drought as impacted by el Nino in 5 targeted province and strengthen existing PMI regional disaster response management by improving disaster management policies, standard operational procedures and coordination mechanisms related to water supply and non-food-item (NFI) logistics with government (i.e. Disaster Management Agency-Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana-BNPB, local government owned Water Supply Enterprise-PDAM, Local government, international organizations (e.g. UNICEF, World Food Program-WFP) and the private sector (e.g., Indonesian Chambers of Commerce-KADIN members). The project have strong component of disaster response skill set capacity building to ensure the skillful volunteers are available in the 6 regional to response to any disaster.
The Emergency Capacity Building Manager will work with ARC DM Coordinator, PMI NHQ and respective ARC colleagues in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project to significantly strengthen the capacity of PMI in resource development, volunteer management, and financial management to prepare for, and respond to future disasters. The Emergency Capacity Building Manager will also support any other DM related activities in all major phases/dimensions of DM including preparedness, mitigation, response, early recovery and longer term development. The Emergency Capacity Building Manager reports directly to the ARC DM Program Coordinator.
Duties applicable to all
- Work towards the achievement of American RC goals in the country/region of operation through effective managerial, lateral relations and teamwork
- Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relationships and accountabilities
- Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor
- Ensures good information flow among all American RC programs
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Program Coordinator with number of program related issues and sectors – most especially associated with Disaster Management primarily with the Indonesia Red Cross and International Federation of the Red Cross
- Support Program Coordinator to institutionalize Disaster Management guidelines and policies as developed internally within ARC, Movement and externally i.e. UN, local authorities
- Provide field assistance to the team conducting assessments, monitoring if required;
- Attend meetings, workshops and/or training programs as required. Present program ideas and carry out discussions on behalf of ARC when required.
- Undertake tasks and small projects as assigned by the Country Representative or Program Coordinator when required;
- Support Program Coordinator in the preparation of program documentation, assessments and studies as required;
Program Management, Research and Development
- Responsible for managing Indonesian Disaster Management and Logistics Readiness - Emergency Water Supply and Strengthening Regional Logistics Capacity Project
- Provide support and guidance to PMI at the NHQ level, and as relevant to Chapter and Branches to define and manage the project scopes, including all activities required to deliver the expected deliverables with high quality standard.
- Provide technical support and guidance to PMI related to Drought emergency response operation to improve its operational, management and quality standard as well as PMI, ARC and donor requirements.
- Providing technical support and guidance to PMI related to strengthening PMI disaster response capacity by improving PMI disaster Response policy, management and ensuring available volunteers with specific disaster response skill set are available within the region to response to any future disaster.
- Work closely with PMI to ensure efficient utilization of the project duration by developing accurate planning/schedule which should be done by comprehensively identifying the activities that need to be performed to produce the project deliverables; identifying the relationships that exist among the various scheduled activities; allocating the type and quantity of resources available/required to perform each scheduled activity.
- Provide support and guidance in developing budgets, identifying cost estimates, as well as regularly monitoring budgets and expenditures, in close collaboration and coordination with Finance. Ensure that all supply chain management (procurement, logistic, and asset) that are related to the project comply with the procedures and SOPs
- Help PMI to identify and monitor all potential project risks and plan for actions to mitigate the risk and its impact to the project performance.
- Conduct field visit to project sites on a regular basis for monitoring, provision of hands-on support and quality assurance.
- Facilitate PMI to prepare project documentation and reporting to ensure all required report are submitted on time, accurate, and complete. This is including provision of information for monthly CR report, Sub Recipient Monitoring Checklist, as well as Quarterly Project Report along with updated indicator tracking table; project documentation and knowledge management.
- Maintain Communication and coordination with PMI, IFRC, PNSs about the risk reduction programming to share experiences/lesson learned Prepare to assume auxiliary management role in disaster response with PMI.
- Provide inputs as required to strategic planning process, achievement of activity targets and required modification of program objectives including
- Support the Program Coordinator by contributing to the identification and development of new projects activities in cooperation with PMI colleagues.
- Undertake relevant tasks as assigned by the Country Representative or Program Coordinator when required
Monthly progress reports to Program Coordinator, quarterly analysis documentation to capture lessons and action oriented recommendations for the future. Participation, inputs and support in a number of other documentation/information processes, mentioned within the JD.
The successful candidate will be assessed on the quality of performance per project and on the competencies associated with the requirements of the job. Where there are gaps in experience and where feasible, the ARC will strive to train or coach the candidate.
- At least 8 years’ experiences in emergency response operation, 8 years minimum in project management and development; Understanding of and/or experienced with Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement; Capacity building and/or experience with institutional strengthening; Experience with international organization (preferred)
- Having technical knowledge in disaster response skills set i.e. assessment, shelter, WASH, disaster management operation, logistic, relief distribution is an asset.
- University degree is Social Science and or relevant field is required. Master Degree is preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in English and Indonesian (written and spoken) required.
- Good computers skills (Windows, Spreadsheets, Word Processing)
- Self-motivated, with good judgment and initiative.
- Able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and achieve results through collaboration.
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change
- Able to work in difficult operating environment e.g. disaster affected area
Please submit your application and curriculum vitae in English not later than March 27, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org placing the job title in the subject line and label your CV with your name (CV max. 200KB size). Only short listed candidates will be notified. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Follow Us By Email
Jika Anda Membutuhkan Informasi Kerja Ngo click here, Terima kasih Telah Berlangganan Via Email.