RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Seasonal Migration)
START DATE: June 1, 2016
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: 6 months with possible extensions of up to 2 years.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s or Master's
ORGANIZATION: J-PAL Southeast Asia
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT : English, Indonesia
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEBUI) seeks qualified applicants for a Research Associate position to coordinate field research and piloting activities towards the aim of implementing a set of RCTs on inducing seasonal migration as a way for farmers to cope with difficult seasons. The Principal Investigators for this project are: Dr. Gharad Bryan (London School of Economics), Dr. Shyamal Chowdhury (University of Sydney), Dr. Mushfiq Mobarak (Yale University), and Dr. Melanie Morten (Stanford University).
The position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to have significant responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. In collaboration with the respective PIs, the Research Associate will support the ongoing design, as well as the implementation of the project for which they are hired. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring activities are implemented with fidelity to the research design, as well as having close relationship with and between actors at various levels of the government, implementing partners, and field survey staffs.
In addition to their respective PIs, a Jakarta-based Research Manager will guide and supervise the Research Associate in his/her various tasks. The Research Associate will be based in Jakarta during onboarding and will be based in Kupang after the onboarding period is completed.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Strong Project Participation and Oversight:
- Propose and, as appropriate, implement innovations in the different stages of a project in coordination with PIs
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partner organizations (e.g. survey firms)
- Oversee and lead the field research activities, including the implementation of the evaluation, according to the research design in coordination with partners
- Conduct background research in conjunction with field research activities
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercise, refining study design and surveying instruments
- Supervise data collection and data-entry and ensure the good quality of the data at each of these two stages
- Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners
- Work with the J-PAL SEA Finance and Research Managers to keep detailed accounts of all project activities, including monitoring expenses in the field and summarizing current expenditures and forecasting expected expenditures
Reporting and Communication:
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with PIs
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs and subject experts
- Participate in the planning and design of any outreach activities
- Assist with preparation of summary reports and dissemination materials
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, math, statistics or related technical fields
- Minimum two years of prior work experience including managing multi-stakeholder initiatives in a collegiate or professional setting
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa and English
- Proven management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Familiarity with RCTs is strongly preferred
- Strong quantitative skills, including knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software
- Training in and a technical understanding of economics and econometrics
- Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills (clear, precise, creative) for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand
- Interest in pursuing a Master’s/Doctorate degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields preferred
Note on Work Authoriziations: You must have work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 22, 2016 following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line : “J-PAL SEA Research Associate - Seasonal” Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, your academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA on RCTs and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply at the earliest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Follow Us By Email
Jika Anda Membutuhkan Informasi Kerja Ngo click here, Terima kasih Telah Berlangganan Via Email.