Working in 30+ countries globally, Conservation International (CI) Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to empowering societies to responsibly and sustainable care for nature for the good of humanity. We are constantly growing and expanding into areas new and old. With each step, we need more and more hands. Apply your passion, skills, and talents to helping us protect the most important places around the world. We are currently looking for Consultant to deliver the said below outcomes.
Conservation International (CI) has long recognized the importance of approaching conservation at the landscape scale, in order to promote lasting outcomes that enhance the livelihoods of communities and conserve critical natural capital. We have pioneered this approach to conservation in Indonesia for nearly a decade, both through our work in West Java in the Gedepahala landscape and in Sumatra through the Sustainable Landscapes Partnership (SLP) and Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring (TEAM) network.
Integral to building these sustainable landscape approaches have been two related areas of emphasis. One is community engagement programs to promote the protection and restoration of forests and watersheds, and agricultural practices more compatible with the conservation of important biodiversity and freshwater resources. The other is implementation of biodiversity monitoring programs to measure effectiveness of conservation activities, including the degree to which the landscape is functioning sustainably, in order to inform ongoing management activities.
Building from that successful initial collaboration between CI and Partner in Gedepahala, CI proposes to promote tools and approaches for more sustainable landscapes, expanding the community engagement and biodiversity monitoring work to the Darajat operation area in West Java, and proposing a potential replication of that model in and around the Duri field in Riau province, Sumatra.
- Identify key issues on development and natural capital conservation in Riau Province;
- Identify the most meaningful conservation activities to be conducted through cooperation between Partner and CI in partnership with local government, which:
- Align with and / or support national and provincial conservation and development policy
- Compatible with CPI operation areas and the surroundings;
- Could be referred as a model for a public-private partnership in Riau Province
- General situation landscaping described, include delineation of the target landscape, an important area of landscaping, and formulate a strategic vision and mission of the desired future
- Strategic steps formulated to develop programs that support the conservation of landscape use of natural resources in a sustainable manner
- Potential of the parties integrated in the landscape conservation efforts in its capacity as regulator, operator, executor, facilitator and funder
- Direction and general guidelines delivered and programs landscape conservation aligned, including the restoration and protection of the landscape as part of the sustainable management of natural resources in the target landscape.
- Priority activities identified include schematic model of the program, monitoring and evaluation, and funding.
Scope of works
- Landscape scoping including biodiversity monitoring gap analysis
- Gathering relevant data and references on previous studies conducted around CPI operation areas
- Identify potential local stakeholders who works around CPI operation areas
- Biodiversity monitoring gap analysis around CPI operation areas
- Conduct workshop on landscape conservation approached for gathering data and information related with landscapes assessment planning. At least 25-50 people from Ministry of environment and forestry, local government, NGOs and universities involved on the workshop
- Preliminary recommendations with respect to the application of TEAM protocols
- Comprehensive assessment to develop appropriate investment of the sustainable landscapes model in Riau province
- The landscapes assessment which cover Bengkalis, Siak, Kampar, Rokan Hulu and Rokal Hilir regencies in Riau province that includes the target landscape around CPI operation areas
- Assess on uniqueness and potential that exists in the landscape, such as the ecology includes biodiversity, habitats, ecosystems
- Assess on economic, social, cultural in community, as well as previous studies on the landscape around CPI operation areas.
- Assess on existence of the companies engaged in the sectors of forestry, plantation, agriculture, and mining, as well as previous studies on the landscape around CPI operation areas.
- Assessment report with relevant information of areas and recommendations for project design and execution completed
Estimated Consultancy Period:
Estimated time for this work is four months (September to December 2016). Preferable can be completed before December 2016.
Consultant is required to submit report in Bahasa and English.
- College degree, majoring in ecology, Forestry, biology, agroforestry, environmental economic and Social-culture with at least 5 years related working experiences
- At least 5 years of experience working with project/program design and implementation in the areas of environment, conservation and/or development; especially for landscape approach, assessments and analyze
- Experience in facilitating and developing workshop
- Especially those who had worked in Sumatra, particularly in Riau province
- Understanding of forestry and development issues at local and regional level.
- Ability to work and travel independently to the study sites to undertake assessments and engage with stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with a wide range of people in both the public and private sectors, including business, government, non-governmental organizations, universities, and local communities,
- Good oral and written skills in English
- Good communication skills and develop network
Please send your current CV and Draft Proposal including methodology for
assessment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
assessment to: email@example.com
Please fill the “subject” column of the e-mails in this format: <Consultant> – <your name>
Closing date for the application is 3 September 2016
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified).
Follow Us By Email
Jika Anda Membutuhkan Informasi Kerja Ngo click here, Terima kasih Telah Berlangganan Via Email.