The Zoological Society of London is an international wildlife conservation organization with a focus on science-based and pragmatic solutions. ZSL has been active in Indonesia for about 10 years, with a particular focus on the overlap between industrial development and biodiversity conservation. ZSL’s Indonesia is based in Bogor, West Java, with existing field projects in Jambi and South Sumatera.
We are now looking for:
WATER MONITORING TEAM LEADER/HYDROLOGIST
Terms and Condition
Start Date: December, 2016
Duration of Contract: One year fix- term Contract, with potential to extend
Work Area: The Water Monitoring Team Leader will be based in Palembang, South Sumatera
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday from 09.00 am up to 05.00 pm
Reporting to: Public Sector Manager
Key Purpose of the Job
The Water Monitoring Team Leader will responsible to assist Public Sector Manager in delivering training for a small field team, work with land manager and communities to undertake canal and peatland mapping, play a key role in ensuring the safe, sustainable and environmentally sound management of natural and domestic water resources.
This position is part of the UKCCU/NICFI Project staffing in South Sumatra
The UKCCU/NICFI Project works with the Government of South Sumatra, national and district level governments, communities and the private sector to to facilitate and support the government, private sector and local communities, to establish and pilot the sustainable landscape management partnership approach in the Sembilang-Dangku landscape of South Sumatra. The proposed impact of this project is to achieve “Inclusive economic growth and community prosperity, biodiversity conservation, forest protection and restoration, and the ending of deforestation, peatland drainage and wildfires that reduces land-based GHG emissions”.
- Involved in monitoring, management and protection of water and water resources in commercial, environmental and academic settings, ensure the effective flow of water through channels and pipes for the engineering and control of water provision.
- Responsible to ensure that water is supplied in the most cost-effective manner use detailed data sources, computer modeling packages and other resources to collect, analyze and interpret data.
- Liaise and negotiate with clients, regulatory authorities, wildlife groups and other professionals such as engineers, planners and surveyors
- Coordinate the implementation of area plans for assigned planning areas with others responsible management agencies.
- Assist in the planning of water resource development by forecasting and monitoring water usage and rainfall.
- Estimate water yields, taking into account the utilization of water in specific natural drainage areas
- Deal with enquiries from external bodies and individuals, such as water regulators, consultants and researchers
- Apply hydrological and statistical techniques to water resource modeling and analysis;
- Develop computer systems to improve the efficiency of data collection and analysis;
- Other general project-related duties as and when required.
The job requires continued professional internal and external interaction/ communications, both in person and via phone and email
The position will require close attention to detail in all aspect of the project and therefore concentration on the work in hand – precision and accuracy being vital attributes.
The position will be relatively routine in terms of day-to-day tasks during office hours – however sometimes e.g. during field trips or when a workshop is being organized the next day, some flexibility in working hours may be required.
Expectations of Job Holder
- To ensure that the policy for equality of opportunity is adhered to and promoted in all aspects of the post holder’s work.
- To ensure effective quality control and continuous improvement in all aspects of the work and responsibilities attached to this post.
- Demonstrate professionalism towards sensitive and confidential information.
- To comply with and promote Health and Safety policies and procedures and to undertake recommended Health and Safety training as and when necessary.
- To be committed to professional self-development, through participation in in-service training as necessary for the successful carrying out of the job.
- To undertake such other duties as are commensurate with the grade of the post.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Forestry, Biology, Ecology, Natural Resource Management, Conservation or any other relevant subject
- Minimum 5 years successful experience working in similar position with an international NGO
- Experience in processing and analyzing data on conservation
- Experience in field work; lowland/peat surveys and mapping
- Previous work for an international NGO desirable;
- Previous work (directly or indirectly) with Government of Indonesia Institutions would also be a strong advantage.
- Understanding about conservation and biodiversity assessment
- Familiar with the most recent biodiversity survey techniques
- Familiar with basic statistical/technical terms and analytical interpretation
- Familiar with forest navigation, map reading, able to operate GPS and compass
- Computer literacy (excellent IT skills); competent in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and other MS tools;
- Able to work independently without supervision but also accustomed to working in a team;
- Good communications skills - able to express complex information in a simple and succinct manner, skill at diplomacy and negotiation with sensitive topics;
- Self starter, pro-active and uses initiative - can work independently and priorities own work load;
- Preferably a high level of written and spoken English;
- Good oral, written, presentation and facilitation skills;
- Flexible and able to work under pressure and often to tight deadlines; including an ability to prioritize jobs;
- Highly motivated.
- Willing to work at any circumstances both independently or in a group, such as in remote areas with very limited facilities.
- Excellent in writing skills and oral communication both in Indonesian and English.
- Able to deal with tight schedule and unscheduled tasks, and target oriented
- Willing to travel extensively across the project sites in Indonesia
Please submit your application and curriculum vitae in English, relevant experience, past salary history, two referees not later than November 12, 2016, to email@example.com, placing the job title in the subject line and label your CV with your name.
Only short listed candidates will be notified. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Follow Us By Email
Jika Anda Membutuhkan Informasi Kerja Ngo click here, Terima kasih Telah Berlangganan Via Email.