Position Title: Covid-19 Ventilator Consultant
Introduction and Background
FHI 360 has received funding to support the countries to receive, set up, and use ventilators in 13 countries (Egypt, El Salvador, Fiji, Honduras, Indonesia, Kiribati, Maldives, Nauru, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Philippines, Sri Lanka).
The broad categories of support include: 1) conduct rapid facility assessments to inform ventilator placement and capacity strengthening needs; 2) conduct training and capacity strengthening on ventilator use (installation, maintenance, and appropriate use); and 3) support ongoing technical assistance on ventilator use and COVID-19 clinical treatment.
The consultant will assist FHI 360 – through the LINKAGES project – to coordinate the provision of technical assistance (TA) for use of ventilators to manage COVID-19. The consultant will support the deployment of the facility assessments, contribute to analysis of assessment findings and report writing, and contribute to the delivery of training for health care providers who will be using ventilators. Additionally, the consultant may provide technical support on the overall management of hospitalized Covid-19 cases. UCSF will provide a curated package of training materials and the consultant will support the adaptation of the materials, tools, SOPs, etc for Indonesia.
Scope of Work: The consultant(s) selected will complete tasks similar, but not limited, to the following:
- Provide support to the Indonesia government including the Indonesia COVID-19 Task Forces, Ministry of Health, Provincial/District Health Offices and targeted facilities to assess health systems and health facilities to assess and achieve readiness to manage patients with COVID-19 including prevention of ongoing transmission in health care settings;
- Support the adaption of available tools to develop a common blended learning package and SOPs that address patient management and facility operations, as well as engaging national, provincial and facility management teams in scenario planning for managing COVID-19.
- Participate in calls with the USAID mission and FHI 360
- Coordinate technical inputs from local stakeholders on facility assessments, deployment and clinical management of technical assistance
- Coordinate with UCSF and other stakeholders to identify equipment/supply needs for mechanical ventilator use
- Contribute to the facility assessment report (if applicable), including recommendations and local dissemination
- Contribute to provision of training on use of ventilators and COVID-19 clinical management (remote and/or virtual) in close coordination with provincial COVID-19 Task Forces
- Contribute to provision of remote clinical support for health care providers based on national guidelines for COVID-19 case management
- Clinical Degree (medical with ATLS/ACLS background preferred anesthesiologist/Pulmonologist/Internist, Anesthesiologist nurse or experienced ER/ICCU medical staff including doctor and nurse)
- A minimum of 5 years of clinical experience in management of advanced critical respiratory failure diseases, severe acute viral infection, pulmonary disease, and/or critical care medicine
- Must be fluent in English
- Experience writing and/or contributing to technical reports
Deliverables and Milestones
- Notes from Mission calls
- Finalized list of equipment/supply needs for mechanical ventilators
- Completed facility assessment tools for all facilities being assessed
- Final facility assessment report
- Final package of training materials, SOPs, and job aids on set up/use of mechanical ventilators
- Final package of training materials, SOPs, and job aids on COVID-19 clinical management
- Provision of remote training
- Provision of remote clinical support
Location of Work
- Consultant(s) will be expected to provide physical (if situation permits) and remote technical assistance with possible travel to assigned locations when conditions allow to do so safely.
Duration of the Assignment
- Six months with variable Level of Effort per month
Interested applicants please submit your CV to email@example.com by the latest Friday, 28 August 2020. Please put the position title “Covid-19 Ventilator Consultant” as the subject of e-mail.