DAI_Fleming Fund Country Grant to Indonesia is looking for Laboratory Capacity Building Expert – Surabaya Base
DAI Indonesia has been engaged under the (UK) Fleming Fund Country Grant to strengthen the National Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and Antimicrobial Use (AMU) surveillance system in an integrated manner employing a One Health approach in Human Health, Animal Health and Aquaculture sectors. There will be two (2) human National reference laboratories which are coordinated under the Directorate of Health Services and Referral, Ministry of Health: BBLK Jakarta and BBLK Surabaya. Both of the labs will function as the center of AMR referral and will provide technical capacity building for Human Health sentinel laboratories throughout Indonesia. The work will also support animal health laboratories under the Ministry of Agriculture, including the animal health reference laboratory in Bogor (BPMSPH) and the Disease Investigation Centre (DIC) Wates located near Yogyakarta and animal health sentinel laboratories in eastern Indonesia
The capacity building for sentinel laboratories will cover a range of activities such as assessment, development of capacity strengthening plans, training, lab renovation, lab procurement, AMR and AMU report management, maintenance of equipment, lab logistic management, biorepository set-up and management, and support for the establishment of EQAS. All activities will have to meet the standard of the ISO 17025 and 15189.
It is intended that a specialized and qualified laboratory expert will be engaged to perform all the above activities under a full-time contract.
Purpose of This Post
DAI Global Health is seeking a dynamic and experienced professional for the full-time position of Laboratory Capacity Building Expert – Surabaya
Description of Duties
Specific responsibilities include:
- Coordinate all Lab Workplan activities and deliverables with HSP Senior Laboratory Lead and Eijkman Lab Expert at the Central level;
- Prepare material and assist in the conduct of a full laboratory assessment using a standardized tool;
- Assist in the development of a capacity building plan based on assessment results;
- Prepare training and capacity building material, schedule trainings, and liaise with sentinel labs;
- Conduct AMR and AMU Capacity Building and Training with BBLK Surabaya for AMR Sentinel laboratories;
- Ensure that all the FF Country Grant work plan deliverables related to BBLK Surabaya and assigned sentinel sites will be achieved within the specified time frame;
- Assist with the country team administration for procurement, renovations, maintenance and others per the scope of activities above, as required;
- Liaise with Fleming Fund program and operations staff and with the focal points of the labs, as required;
- Prepare weekly, monthly, and final progress reports and share with supervisor;
- Ensure and monitor the labs’ logistics and AMR report flow every month from sentinel sites to BBLK Surabaya and up to the National Coordinating Committee (NCC, MoH).
- Any other tasks assigned by the supervisor or his/her designee.
Qualifications and Skills
- Advanced degree in medicine, microbiology, clinical pathology, medical technology or equivalent
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in laboratory diagnostics, specifically bacteriology (culture and identification, AST), quality management, and biosafety.
- Demonstrated experience conducting comprehensive assessments of laboratories as well as personnel competency testing.
- Demonstrated experience teaching courses, conducting workshops, bench training, or giving seminars on relevant topics.
- Experience engaging with government officials, policy-making bodies, and international nongovernmental organizations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia and in English.
- Experience working with BBLK Surabaya and/or other BBLK laboratories
- Experience working with BBLK’s, BBVET, BVET Labs and hospital laboratories
- Experience collaborating with laboratory staff and clinicians
- Experience with assessment tools, training and conducting assessments
The Laboratory Capacity Building Expert – Surabaya will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Laboratory Capacity Building Lead and the Deputy Team Leader.
Level of Effort/Timeline
The level of effort is 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project on September 30, 2021. The Laboratory Capacity Building Expert will be based in Surabaya, with occasional travel to other parts of Indonesia.
Remuneration and package
Remuneration and package will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Based in Surabaya with domestic travel to sentinel hospital laboratories.
Start date: September 2020
Application closing date: 11 September 2020
Interested and qualified applicants could send the cover letter and CV at the latest on 11 September 2020, at 05.00 PM Jakarta Time to RecruitmentFFCGIndonesia@dai.com with “Laboratory Capacity Building Expert – Surabaya ” in the subject line and specify their date of availability in the CV or covering email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.