Wildlife Conservation Society Job Vacancies 2020
The Wildlife Conservation Society is a US-based charitable organization whose mission is to save wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and to inspire people to value nature. The Wildlife Conservation Society‐ Indonesia Program (WCS‐IP) works on biodiversity conservation projects across Indonesia, including in several landscapes in Sumatera and Sulawesi where we aim at protecting threatened species and their habitat. We provide support to and work in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF) of the Government of Indonesia (GoI)
The Wildlife Conservation Society‐Indonesia Program has significantly grown over the last decades and, as an international organization working in Indonesia, WCS‐IP needs to ensure its compliance with relevant laws and regulations to achieve an efficient, high standard and best support to the GoI.
The Legal & Government Liaison Officer’s main duty is to act as liaison with the MoEF and the GoI and, in close coordination with and under the supervision of WCS’s Operations Director to serve as in‐house counsel for WCS‐IP and handle legal matters to ensure WCS‐IP’s adherence to all applicable laws and regulations and to donors’ requirements.
Under the supervision of the Operations Director for all legal matters and role as liaison with the GoI and working closely with WCS‐IP Program Managers/Coordinators and other persons in charge (PIC) within WCS‐IP, the Legal & Government Liaison Officer will provide support on general legal matters, including the following.
- Support WCS‐IP by providing legal advice, in coordination with WCS Global Office of General Counsel (OGC), regarding WCS‐IP operations, agreements, and other legal documents, handling all WCS‐IP legal processes, including its organizational policies.
- Provide advice, under the supervision of Operations Director and in coordination with OGC, on WCS legal rights and obligations as a foreign organization working in Indonesia, to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Support the Operations Director as regular government liaison to MoEF, its Field Technical Units and other Government Partner(s) within Inter‐Ministries Licensing Team in the drafting of MOU, Technical Agreement (PKST), Work Plan (RKT) and other legal documents necessary/ required by regulations.
- Provide high standard yet efficient support to all WCS‐IP Program Managers, Program Coordinators, Site Team Leaders, WCS‐IP Communications team, and other PIC within WCS‐IP in any legal drafting of RKT, signing and as liaison with local governments.
- Provide support in maintaining good coordination with MoEF, its Field Technical Units and other Government Partner(s) within Inter‐Ministries Licensing Team in the implementation of MOU, PKST, RKT, including its monitoring and evaluation process cycle.
- Advise and handle WCS‐IP legal matters under the supervision of Operations Director (e.g. drafting, review, and negotiation of agreements and preparation of other documents, intellectual property issues, regulation compliance issues, or any lawsuits if necessary).
- Research, anticipate and guard WCS against any legal risks, and if needed, represent WCS‐IP in legal proceedings under the supervision of Operations Director (negotiation of agreements, court trials, etc.)
Undertakes other tasks as deemed necessary in line with the goal of providing management support to WCS‐IP as assigned by the Operations Director.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience providing legal advice and working on general administrative matters in a similar environment, preferably with a large scale International Organization or law firm.
- Minimum 3 years’ specific experience with International NGO’s law and regulations (GoI law and regulations, GoI tax law, business management, intellectual property rights, licensing, and other INGO‐relevant laws).
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Law, International Law, Business Law, or similar from a reputable University. A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be an advantage.
- Experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating grants and other contracts and policies and interpreting legislation and regulations, advising on legal exposure and risks, and conducting legal research.
- Experience dealing with the GoI.
- Ability to anticipate potential issues and assist with developing solutions.
- Analytical ability and strong attention to detail, and problem-solving skills.
- Mature, pleasant personality, polite, and excellent negotiation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Computer skills mandatory. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Good administrative/office management skills.
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Able to work proactively with minimum supervision.
- Able to work under tight deadlines and responsibility pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Interest in wildlife conservation & environmental issues is essential.
Please note that the above TOR constitutes only the main responsibilities and duties of this position. As WCS‐IP is a flexible organization, staff members are expected to undertake any other tasks that are allocated to them but which are not part of their regular TOR, but related to it.
Please send a cover letter and CV in English to email@example.com no late than 17 September 2020, stating in the subject line “Legal & Government Liaison Officer_(name)”. Please also include a portfolio of your previous work or links to blogs or galleries online. No correspondence, only short-listed candidates will be notified.