GIZ JOB VACANCIES 2020
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German public-benefit federal enterprise. GIZ works worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas.
Schools are key public institutions where students, staff, and community members come together, interact closely, and share common spaces. Schools provide a setting where the risk of spreading diseases is high. At the same time, schools are institutions where life-long hygiene behaviors are acquired; and which serve as models for parents and communities.
In response to COVID-19, governments across the world have closed schools to reduce the risk of disease transmission. Interruption of attending school has a huge impact on the life of children, families, and communities and ultimately consequences for economies and the entire society. In Indonesia, like in most countries, data on COVID-19 prevalence is incomplete and Ministries of Education need to make decisions in an environment of uncertainty, contradicting scientific studies, and limited knowledge on the role of schools in disease transmission.
The Fit for School Program of GIZ has supported the Ministry of Education and Culture (MOEC) to improve the status of WASH in Schools (WinS) in Indonesia since 2011. GIZ is supporting the efforts of the Indonesian government for safe re-opening of schools, specifically to support the conditions for personal and environmental hygiene in schools to help MOEC to comply with SDG basic service standards and Global recommendations to prevent COVID-19 transmission.
To join the global movement for safe re-opening of schools GIZ is opening a new position for its Indonesia team. The DeveloPP program of GIZ has been commissioned by the Hygiene and Behavior Change Coalition (Unilever and DFID) to support the MOEC in implementing Pandemic Preparedness and Response (PPR) measures in schools, specifically personal hygiene (handwashing with soap) and environment hygiene (cleaning and surface disinfection).
GIZ is seeking one qualified Indonesian candidate for the following position: (Senior) Advisor for WASH and School Pandemic Preparedness and Response in Schools in Indonesia
Responsibilities, but is not limited to:
The aim of the project is to prepare and equip public schools in Indonesia for the challenges in a pandemic context by guiding systemic improvements in personal, surface, and environmental hygiene. Through the program, the (Senior) Advisor will work closely with the GIZ Fit for School – DeveloPPP team and the Ministry of Education and Culture (MOEC) to support the integration and operationalization of pandemic preparedness and response measures into existing systems, support the development of guidelines within the education sector based on global recommendations and experiences from model schools and support the development of capacity building measures for the education sector to scale up pandemic preparedness and response measures.
In carrying out this role, the (Senior) Advisor performs the following major function:
Provides technical assistance to government and development partners and stakeholders in programmatic areas including strategy and policy development (national level), development of implementing guidelines, specifically with regards the institutionalization of PPR implementation, management and monitoring measures in the education sector, based on the modeling of a scalable implementation package on WASH in schools/whole-of-school cleaning and disinfection for PPR such as:
- The development of implementing guidelines for PPR measures in schools in Indonesia and the institutionalization of the implementing guidelines within the MOEC and the Indonesian public education system;
- The development of training tools such as manuals, videos, IEC materials, and knowledge products and platforms to support the dissemination of the implementing guidelines; and
- The integration of indicators to measure pandemic preparedness and response measures in schools as part of national WinS monitoring systems.
Coordination and Liaison with MOEC and other key stakeholders
Coordinates the alignment and integration of program measures with MOEC policies, priorities, systems, and initiatives, while strengthening working relationships and networks within the MOEC and its Technical Working Group for WASH in Schools
- Advise and collaborate with the MOEC on pandemic preparedness and response-related matters;
- Coordinate efforts with the WASH in Schools Technical Working Group in Indonesia
- Identify initiatives of other development actors in the field of WinS in Indonesia, especially in the context of pandemic preparedness and response (PPR) measures and collaborate towards the harmonization of strategies and alignment of efforts;
- Support the activities of the DeveloPPP program, Global WinS Network, and its core members.
Brings together support for the program pandemic preparedness and response initiative(s) from government high officials, development and private sector partners, and key stakeholders.
Capacity Development Coordination
In coordination with the Global WinS Network and the Regional Fit for School Program, supports the integration of human capacity development measures for government partners into the government structures to strengthen ownership, strategies, management, and communications for the institutionalization of WASH pandemic preparedness and response in schools.
Program and Quality Management
Contributes to program planning and implementation and supports monitoring and reporting of accomplishment of program objectives and plans, ensuring proper resource allocation and quality in program outputs.
Supports program knowledge management processes and activities, and the development of knowledge products, and ensures the documentation and dissemination of program results, lessons learned, and best practices, and facilitate knowledge sharing among relevant stakeholders.
Support to the deliverables and the and management of short-term consultants contracted by the program, which includes, among others:
- Development and costing of PPR package for students and cleaners
- Development of content on PPR measures for integration into MOOCs
- Production of videos for inclusion into the existing WinS MOOC
General Corporate Tasks
Performs other tasks relevant to the job or organizational unit as needed, and participates in external coordination and other corporate, entrepreneurial, or strategy-linked undertakings.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Postgraduate degree in education, health sciences, social science, or public administration
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience
- Experience in working and liaising with the Ministry of Education and Culture, particularly in the field of WASH in Schools
- Experience in providing technical assistance in the context of development partnerships
- Fluent written and verbal knowledge of English & Bahasa, German knowledge will be an advantage
Other Knowledge, Additional Competencies
- Demonstrated organization, entrepreneurial, and management competencies
- Strategic thinking and understanding of higher-order implications of approaches, decisions, and actions
- Ability to communicate and to relate with people of diverse organizational cultures in government, national/local, private sector, and at all levels of a hierarchical organization
- Proven capacity to interact and constructively cooperate with partners in the MOEC and NGO partners and colleagues
- Ability to clearly and amiably present ideas and transmit knowledge in the terms of the recipient/user/partner
- Ability to maintain an extensive network within the Education sector
- Maintaining an extensive network within the education landscape
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with the supervisor
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Regional Programme Coordinator for Indonesia of the Regional Fit for School Programme
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including trainings and list of references) to email@example.com by September 21st, 2020 with the subject line PPR – (Senior) Advisor.
Please name your file as follow format: [Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified