THE ASEAN SECRETARIAT
INVITES ASEAN NATIONALS TO APPLY
FOR THE FOLLOWING VACANCY
INITIATIVE FOR ASEAN INTEGRATION & NARROWING DEVELOPMENT GAP (IAI & NDG) DIVISION
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was founded in 1967 with the purpose of promoting regional cooperation in Southeast Asia, in the spirit of equality and partnership and thereby contribute towards peace, progress, and prosperity in the region. ASEAN comprises ten (10) countries in Southeast Asia. It was proclaimed a Community through the “Kuala Lumpur Declaration on ASEAN 2025: Forging Ahead Together”, signed by the Leaders of ASEAN Member States at the 27th ASEAN Summit in 2015. The ASEAN 2025 calls for the ASEAN Community to forge ahead together, and to work towards building a community that is politically cohesive, economically integrated, and socially responsible.
The ASEAN Secretariat was established in 1976 by the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN with the basic function of providing greater efficiency in the coordination of ASEAN organs and for more effective implementation of ASEAN projects and activities. It is also envisioned to be the nerve center of a strong and confident ASEAN Community that is globally respected for acting in full compliance with its Charter and in the best interest of its people.
In line with the ASEAN 2025 and the key aspirations of the three ASEAN Community pillars, namely: Political-Security Community, Economic Community and Socio-Cultural Community, supported by the Department of Community and Corporate Affairs, the ASEAN Secretariat is inviting qualified ASEAN Nationals to apply for the position of Senior Officer IAI & NDG Division.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Assistant Director/Head of IAI & NDG Division, the Senior Officer shall be responsible to:
Service the relevant ASEAN sectoral and subsidiary bodies
- Provide policy advice and other support to related or relevant ASEAN meetings and committees as required,
- Ensure that ASEAN bodies are provided with appropriate substantive and administrative support as required including preparation of reports and information papers for meeting,
- Effectively engage with ASEAN Member States, ASEAN Partners and other stakeholders,
- Represent the ASEAN Secretariat at ASEAN and international fora as required,
- Ensure that follow-up actions are taken on the relevant decisions of the ASEAN Summits, the Ministers and senior officials,
- Monitor the implementation of the IAI Work Plan.
Manage the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and/or projects in the area of IAI & NDG Division
- Work closely with consultants and project proponent to ensure effective and timely implementation,
- Maintain a consolidated record of the overall progress of the IAI Work Plan implementation and the achievement of results,
- Promote and support donor coordination initiatives, including non-duplication of projects with other programs of the ASEAN Secretariat and pursuing co-funding options for joint implementation of activities with other Dialogue and Development Partners,
- Oversee the implementation of cooperation projects in coordination with the chairs of sub-committees,
- Formulate project/program proposals/concepts/ideas for consideration by relevant ASEAN bodies and Dialogue Partners.
Monitor activities of sub-regional groupings
- Monitor the implementation of sub-regional initiatives,
- Communicate with sub-regional groupings, ASEAN Partners and External Parties involved in sub-regional initiatives in the effort to align the activities with ASEAN integration goals and minimize duplication,
- Serve as a resource person at sub-regional meetings and activities, where relevant.
Manage operational activities of the Division
- Plan Division activities, assign work priorities, and be responsible for the quality of work,
- Provide guidance/direction for staff on professional matters,
- Foster teamwork and collaboration within the Division,
- Manage all resources, including financial and human resources for the Division,
- Participate in and contribute to divisional or directorate management meetings,
- Respond to inquiries from researchers/private sectors/public sectors,
- Prepare information, materials, and publications, other publication for public dissemination by and coordination with Community Relations Division.
Qualifications and experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent degree) is preferably in the area of Economics, Development Studies, or another related discipline with extensive supervisory experience within a management position and a minimum of three (3) years work experience in strategic planning, project management, and monitoring and evaluation in cross-cultural environment and international settings, or another relevant field.
- Bachelor degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications, and five (5) years experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- High-level technical and applied skills and knowledge in the area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated skills in problem-solving, planning, policy development and analysis, and the development of procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to self-start, motivate staff and work effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Experience in identifying training and professional/technical development needs of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct both formal and on-the-job training and foster the career development goals of staff.
- Demonstrated sound oral and written communication skills and sound interpersonal skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative work practices.
- Competency in computer skills with adequate knowledge of Microsoft Office and external statistics and information databases.
- Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines.
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken.
- Ability to travel.
Remuneration and Benefits:
The successful candidates will be offered a basic salary of USD 3,385 and an attractive remuneration package including housing, outpatient medical reimbursement, hospitalization & life insurance, children’s education, and gratuity. Subject to good performance during the probation, the candidate will be offered a fixed-term contract of three (3) years, inclusive of the six-month probationary period.
How to apply:
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, certified true copies of educational certificates and transcript for Bachelor and Master degrees, including Ph.D. (if any), and completed ASEC Employment Application Form attached with recent photograph. Documents must be in English or with English translation. Applications sent without ALL the documents mentioned above will NOT be considered.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Senior Officer IAI & NDG Division.
Application documents should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 20 September 2020. The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- ASEC Employment Form can be downloaded at: CLICK HERE
- ASEAN Secretariat Staff shall not be retained in active service beyond the age of 60 years. Age shall not be more than 57 years old at the time of application.