GIZ Job Vacancies 2020
The Forests and Climate Change Program (FORCLIME) supports the Government of Indonesia in their endeavor to mitigate the effects of climate change through forestry sector reform, capacity development and implementation of best management practices for sustainable forest management and biodiversity conservation. Demonstration activities are being supported in selected districts of Kalimantan and Central Sulawesi to Reduce Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (“REDD” activities). FORCLIME is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ (German International Cooperation) and KfW, the German Development Bank, with the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry as the Program Executing Agency.
The Programme’s overall objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the forest sector while improving the livelihoods of Indonesia’s poor rural communities. To achieve this goal, the Programme team assists the Indonesian Government in designing and implementing legal, policy and institutional reforms for the conservation and sustainable management of forests, at local, provincial and national level. Support to REDD demonstration activities are a key feature of the Programme, providing decision-makers with experience of how REDD can be implemented “on the ground”.
We seek a qualified Indonesian candidate for: Junior Adviser for Geographical Information Systems and Forest Mapping
The GIS and Forestry Junior Adviser has the following responsibilities:
- Support the capacity building in the field of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for the staff of the provincial forestry services and other relevant stakeholders. This capacity building comprises the support of related activities of the forestry services as well as the preparation and conduction of trainings.
- The Junior adviser will work closely together with the GIZ Development Adviser who is assigned to PUSDIKLAT working on remote sensing and GIS with the regional training centers.
- The Junior adviser will be involved in the setup of an IT systems for GIZ and counterparts in Tanah Papua regarding its basic infrastructure, network setup and data management, working closely together with FORCLIME IT manager in Jakarta.
- The Junior Adviser will assist to investigate the existing spatial data infrastructure within the provincial government in context of the One Map policy and provide guidance towards a uniform management of spatial data (where needed with guidance from BIG).
- The Junior Adviser will also support and facilitate local communities in cooperation with the forestry services and district government in pilot areas. This encompasses community-based mapping and other related social- forestry activities as well.
- In addition, the junior adviser will support GIZ’s planning, logistical and administrative matters in Tanah Papua
- The junior adviser will be active in the forum of Forestry Development Partners (MITRA BANGHUT) and District Conservation Forum related to coordination and participation in events of GIS, and spatial planning topics.
GIS and Forestry Junior adviser
- Support in conducting general spatial data investigation and supports community-based mapping activities, field visits and data collection.
- Support to prepares and conduct workshops and trainings related to GIS, data collection and sharing.etc in cooperation with the HCD component of the programme.
- Supports the provincial forestry department to build up and sustain a GIS for Forest Resources.
- Assist in facilitating Forests and Climate Change Programme (FORCLIME) activities in Tanah Papua and supports activities conducted by partners of Forests and Climate Change Programme
- Liaises with government officials, NGOs and other stakeholders and participates in meetings relevant to the forestry sector.
- Produces maps and information material for delegations and accompanies and guides visitors in connection with field trips.
- Supports the provision of logistics for FORCLIME staff and visitors activities.
- Provides support to organizational and management matters.
- Regularly communicates with the FORCLIME team members, and participates in regular team meetings.
- Participates in regular and extensive field visits to the FORCLIME intervention areas and other regions as and when required.
- Conduct IT support in the office in cooperation with the IT manager from Jakarta, if required.
Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- Contributes actively to a good working climate and team working within the project
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Bachelor degree in Forestry, Geography or related
- Experience in GIS data analysis and management as well as in giving trainings, experience in remote sensing would be an asset.
- At least 1year professional experience in the forestry sector, preferably in natural resources management and planning through GIS.
- Good network with government institutions, academicians, NGO or international projects in Papua would be an asset.
- Preferably has experience on training facilitation on village level
- Recent working experiences in Tanah Papua and good understanding of current ongoing forest processes in Tanah Papua.
- Preferably having also, the experience of working outside of Tanah Papua.
- Previous professional experience with donor projects.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Basic English skills and willingness to learn English.
- Experience in working with international agencies, preferably GIZ.
- Extensive knowledge on GIZ software and participatory mapping processes.
- Willingness to travel regularly.
- Willingness to work together with partner organizations on district and provincial level (e.g. district and provincial authorities)
- Willingness to upgrade skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Duty Station: Palu
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Senior Adviser for Biodiversity Focal Point for the KfW – Forest Program 3 & Provincial Coordinator Central Sulawesi
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on October 1st, 2020.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: FORCLIME – GIS & FM
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.