Hanns R. Neumann Stiftung Job Vacancies 2020
We are seeking an enthusiastic, well-organized, and dedicated agronomist for our organization’s farmer extension activities in Indonesia in a position as Senior Agronomist (m/f)Full-time, 2 years contract.
The position would start as soon as possible (ideally in November 2020) and will be based in Muaradua, Sumatra Selatan, with very frequent visits to farmers. He/she will be embedded in a highly committed, 23-member-strong Indonesian team currently working with about 14,000 families and 600 farmer organizations in Sumatra Selatan.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Together with farmer families, design and monitor a network of on-farm participatory action research and training demo plots and associated nurseries aimed at boosting the climate-resilience of local farming systems.
- Conduct agronomic research on coffee and other crops that can help meaningfully diversify local smallholder coffee systems.
- Together with colleagues, develop relevant agronomic training materials.
- Help empower key farmers to function as trainers to their peers
- Draft monthly and annual plans, and liaise closely with fellow agronomist, field officers, M&E, organizational development coordinators, and Indonesia management in order to ensure the alignment of activities.
- Maintain associated databases and records, and report regularly to the team and HRNS Indonesia management.
- University degree or equivalent and several years’ experience related to crop and soil science and integrated tropical smallholder farming systems.
- Experience in training farmers and applying agricultural extension approaches.
- Good knowledge of rural development issues, of the Indonesian coffee sector, and of climate change issues faced by the sector.
- Willing and able to spend up to 80% of time in the field under basic conditions.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Ability to drive a heavy motorbike and manual-transmission car.
- A flexible team player who can also assume responsibility and act independently, who is reliable, diligent, well-organized, and focussed on achieving tangible results.
- The ability to communicate in English and/or local languages is a strong asset.
- Expertise or experience with ArcGIS or other mapping tools is an asset.
If you are interested in the position and feel you match the above qualifications and experience, we welcome you to apply. Please send your CV and a cover letter with salary expectations and preferred date of commencement in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org by October 11th, 2020.
If you have any further questions or require clarifications about the position, please contact Mr. Atho Illah at email@example.com or Dr. Adrian Bolliger at firstname.lastname@example.org