DAI INTERNATIONAL JOB VACANCIES 2020
DAI_Fleming Fund Country Grant to Indonesia is looking for Laboratories Renovation Assessment Engineer / Architect | Jakarta Base
DAI Indonesia has been engaged under the (UK) Fleming Fund to strengthen the National Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and Antimicrobial Use (AMU) surveillance system in an integrated way with the One Health approach in Human Health, Animal Health and Aquaculture sectors. Approximately 20 Reference or Sentinel AMR human health or animal health or aquaculture health labs, are to be upgraded and renovated under the Grant in order to improve the national AMR surveillance network and to bring the labs up to international standards, including International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 15189 and 17025. The labs are located all over the country from Aceh in the far west, western, central, and east Java and on Sulawesi. Assessments of the labs are to be undertaken to develop the requirements for building renovations and medical equipping for the labs.
The requirements for the refurbishment at the labs and equipment needs will be based on the space allocated for AMR surveillance functions and to bring it up to the required standards that could meet the needs of ISO 15189 certification.
It is intended that a specialized and qualified architectural/ civil works engineering design firm will be engaged to design the labs which will: a) assess the labs; and b) prepare a detailed design and costing for each. The construction works will be carried out by pre-qualified contractors.
The labs are to be assessed by small teams, including the Engineer/ Architect, using standardized checklists, (Lab Assessment Tool – LAT), and within the constraints caused by travel restrictions as a result of COVID-19. The assessments will develop an understanding of the existing general organization of the labs, space usage, and the workflow, to identify all the needs for renovation, specimen sample storage capacity and needs, training, and some Biosafety and Biosecurity details. The assessments will consider the disposal of wastes, space allocation, inter-relationship between the different lab rooms, etc.
The assessments will gather sufficiently accurate and comprehensive information to prepare a Scope of Work for a design firm to prepare detailed designs of required renovation works (with special attention to ensuring reliable/ back-up power supplies at each lab.). The firm will prepare drawings showing the existing and proposed layouts – for approval by the respective lab authorities; Bills of Quantities; technical specifications; and confidential cost estimates.
The renovation works will not require new or major building works. It is anticipated that the renovation works will comprise: minor non-load-bearing wall removal; widening or blocking up of door openings; partition walls; windows and doors; hygienic coverings to floors and walls; false ceilings; water supply and plumbing, electrical works, biometric access control, installation of fire detection equipment and fire-fighting equipment, supply and installation of air conditioners for climate control; and the supply, assembly, delivery and installation of furniture and epoxy resin benchtops
Purpose of This Post
DAI is seeking a dynamic and experienced professional for the short-time position of Laboratories Renovation Assessment Engineer / Architect.
Description of Duties
The following activities are to be carried out by the Laboratories Renovation Assessment Engineer/ Architect:
- Receive a one to two-day training in the use of the LATs;
- Physically attend lab assessments at labs with the assessment teams – to be agreed;
- Take note of, and electronically record, all renovation needs on the LATs for the assigned labs;
- Take detailed internal measurements of the entire lab and the individual lab rooms;
- View all key aspects of the lab operations, including, but not limited to water supply and storage; plumbing and sewerage; power supply, etc.
- Prepare sketches and to scale drawings showing the location of all equipment (both bench-mounted and on the floors, plumbing, air conditioning units, etc.)
- Take digital photos and collect other information, as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- B.E (Civil Engineering or Architecture), or a related field;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience assessing and designing new construction and/ or renovation of buildings in terms of building works as well as electrical and mechanical installations;
- Preferred: Experience of working on donor-funded and/or public sector projects;
- Preferred: Experience in the design and construction of laboratories in the health or pharmaceutical sectors;
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel, WORD, and Project;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia and in English.
The Laboratories Renovation Assessment Engineer / Architect will work under the direct supervision of the Lead Administrator and regularly coordinate with the Fleming Fund Laboratories Renovation – Civil Works Engineer for technical issues.
Level of Effort/Timeline
Period of performance for this assignment is October 2020 through February 2021 with up to 50 days of LOE. The Laboratories Renovation Assessment Engineer / Architect will be based in Jakarta and must be willing to travel extensively around Indonesia for the lab assessments.
Remuneration and package
Remuneration and package will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Based in Jakarta and must be willing to travel extensively around Indonesia for the lab assessments.
Application closing date
October 2nd, 2020
Interested and qualified applicants could send the cover letter and CV at the latest on October 2nd, 2020, at 05.00 PM Jakarta Time to RecruitmentFFCGIndonesia@dai.com with “Laboratories Renovation Assessment Engineer / Architect ” in the subject line and specify the availability date in the CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.