IFES INTERNATIONAL JOB VACANCIES 2020
- Position Title: Senior Program Officer
- Location: Jakarta
IFES is an international, nonprofit organization that supports the building of democratic societies. IFES promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle in countries around the world to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance, and transparency. Founded in 1987 as a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, IFES has developed and implemented comprehensive, collaborative democracy solutions in more than 120 countries. Since 2011 IFES implementing the General Election Network for Disability Access (AGENDA) project, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), in Indonesia.
The General Election Network for Disability Access (AGENDA) is a creative partnership between the International Foundation of Electoral System (IFES), disabled persons’ organizations (DPOs), and election-focused civil society organizations (CSOs) in Southeast Asia. The AGENDA network’s principal objectives have been to promote election access in Southeast Asia and ensure that access to disability-inclusive political processes is on the human rights agenda of regional bodies.
The November 2018 launch of the ASEAN Enabling Masterplan: Mainstreaming the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, is ASEAN’s first regional action plan for mainstreaming the rights of persons with disabilities in all aspects of its new regional development agenda was a breakthrough statement of regional principle The Enabling Masterplan may prove inconsequential if not internalized by Member States through their own domestic policy-making processes. IFES works with AGENDA partners to increase DPO effectiveness in advocating for government action to respect and promote disability rights. IFES provides technical support to AGENDA partners to advocate at both the national and regional levels and support DPOs to build strong, cross-sectoral advocacy coalition for mainstreaming the rights of persons with disabilities in national laws and public policy.
Currently, AGENDA is seeking a Senior Program Officer to support the implementation of the AGENDA program.
Scope of Work
- Provide IFES and partner organizations with advice on the full range of technical and operational issues relating to elections and the AGENDA program;
- Proactively seek out ways to assist AGENDA partner organizations in all areas related to the conduct of programs;
- Undertake research and write reports on issues related to people with disabilities based on IFES experience and/or international best practice;
- Liaise closely with CSOs in Southeast Asia and support ongoing working relationships;
- Coordinate the planning, administration, and logistics for special events, trainings, and workshops undertaken by the program;
- Coordinate and implement assigned projects and programs aimed at increasing access for people with disabilities through advocacy activities, mass media, and other direct forms of communication;
- Coordinate access for people with disabilities activities with civil society actors, and partner organizations within the public and private sectors, as required;
- Monitor and ensure the quality of AGENDA products and programs, assess their impact, and make recommendations aimed at improving quality or impact as required;
- Report regularly on project activities to the Program Manager and the headquarters staff;
- Undertake such as other duties as may be requested/directed;
- Travel within the region as required.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in an international environment, with significant experience in implementing democratic development projects, disability-related project, and international program management;
- Familiarity with and commitment to inclusion, diversity, and rights-based approaches to development and disability
- Extensive experience working with civil society organizations, specifically disabled person’s organizations and coalition building;
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs, Excel, Internet) required;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to make independent decisions;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of a sign language a plus.
- Possess general knowledge about ASEAN is a plus.
- A degree in political science or related field.
Interested candidates may send their application to: firstname.lastname@example.org latest by October 23, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.