Médecins Sans Frontières Job Vacancies 2020
Research Coordinator, Multicentric Early Detection of Sepsis Study MSF Spain
Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) Spain is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, and exclusion from healthcare in more than 65 countries. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender, or political affiliation. MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
MSF-Spain has a priority interest in the early detection of sepsis to improve patient outcomes. As part of the Asia strategy, MSF-Spain is sponsor-implementer of a multi-country study in Vietnam, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines. This is a prospective longitudinal cohort observational study on children aged between 1 month and 5 years presenting with fever, where different biomarkers and severity scores will be measured to identify combinations that may be used to better identify those patients higher at risk of sepsis and therefore facilitate early and appropriate referral.
MSF-Spain will develop and work with local partner academic organizations in each country to facilitate the implementation of the study. In this respect, MSF will play a coordinating and oversight role for the conduct of the research.
In addition to the study, MSF-Spain is also interested in responding to potential emergencies in the country and the SE Asian region. As such, expanding the networks and understanding the nature and feasibility of emergency response across the region is a key priority for MSF-Spain.
The position will initially be managed as a consultant, with a direct transition to a normative long term contract through a local Indonesian foundation in the first quarter of 2021.
- Number of posts available: 1
- Location: Jakarta. The position entails up to 50% travel between the study sites as part of the job (non-negotiable).
- Starting date: 1st December 2020
- Availability: 1 year; with possible extension.
Purpose of the Position
The Operational Research Coordinator would be working in close collaboration with the Medical Advisor-Asia, coordinating the regional multi-centric observational study for sepsis early detection and being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the Vietnam, Philippines, and Indonesian arms of the study, with a limited support function for the Bangladesh, Laos and Cambodia sites.
The project will be managed according to MSF’s charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national laws, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINES
Hierarchically accountable to the Project Coordinator (based in Jakarta) and functionally accountable to Medical Advisor Asia (based in New Delhi).
- Work closely under the supervision of the Medical Advisor, Asia to ensure the highest standards of research are followed in the multi-country study.
- To lead the collaboration with our research partners in different countries
- Contribute to and provide oversight for SOP writing and implementation
- Coordinating with relevant authorities (e.g. Ministry of Health, provincial/district health authorities) and other stakeholders (e.g. local foundations (i.e. Yayasan)).
- Facilitate and coordinate the ethics boards communication in each country
- Support and actively participate with the partners in overseeing the initiation and implementation of the study.
- Develop an understanding of the research environment, regulatory pathways, and local partner capacities in countries of interest.
- Support coordination and quality assurance of the study
- Present MSF work (and occasionally advocacy) at international conferences
- Collaborate in the preparation of presentations at HQ level
Regarding emergency response:
- Assess the existing emergency response mechanisms and capacities of each country
- Support Medical Advisor Asia in developing country emergency response plans and support the Project Coordinator in the registration process in each country, including attending and planning Emergency Response Trainings.
- Support the Project Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator Asia, and HR Coordinator Asia in assessing relevant areas for the registration and emergency preparedness processes.
- Participates in any emergency activity or exploratory visit if necessary.
- Participate in exploratory missions to new context and/or emergencies as needed.
- Please note that the position would need to travel up to 50% between study sites (non-negotiable)
- Essential Education: Degree in medicine or other biomedical science, with proven experience in research
- Essential 2 years’ experience in relevant research positions which involve oversight and regular monitoring visits of research initiatives. Experience in laboratory techniques would be desirable.
- Strategic Vision L2
- Leadership L2
- People Management and Development L3
- Service Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L4
- Ability to network and build local contacts with possible regional emergency partners
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel, and internet)
- Indonesian (native speaker level). Excellent spoken and written English is mandatory
- Indonesian national residing in Indonesia
- 24.950.780 IDR gross/month approximately
Please send your CV and cover letter (in a single PDF file only), stating your motivation and what can you contribute to the position, with the subject Ref: Research Coordinator to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 18th October 2020.
Applications that are not completed (CV + Covering letter) will not be considered.