SAVE THE CHILDREN JOB VACANCIES 2020
Gap & Power (GAP) Analysis
A GAP analysis examines gender inequalities, power hierarchies, and forms of discrimination and marginalization. It intentionally seeks to identify how systems of oppression intersect and impact people’s access to resources and opportunities within the communities where Save the Children works. The GAP analysis builds upon previous gender analysis frameworks and gender and power analyses developed by donors, NGOs, and practitioners. It highlights gender as a leading power imbalance since it is used to in every country and community to organize social interactions, relations, and institutions.
The objectives of GAP are:
- Identify barriers, risks, unequal power relations, and forms of marginalization, discrimination, and exclusion that perpetuate gender and social inequality for our targeted Next Gen children ages 12-15 on their education and learning opportunities for the future of work and for our targeted Youth with Disabilities / YwD) ages 16-24 on their education and employment opportunities.
- Analyze and explain how systems of oppression intersect shape educational and employment opportunities and life choices of Next Gen children ages 12-15 and YwD ages 16-24.
- Understand existing efforts that addresses existing barriers faced by Next Gen children and Youth with Disabilities.
- Develop concrete recommendations to:
- increase equitable access, participation, and benefits of program activities
- mitigate potential unintended negative consequences and do no harm,
- address key barriers to youth accessing quality education and decent work such as social stigma against youth with disabilities.
- Given the nature of the project, we have selected a few priority sectoral research questions to guide the GAP analysis and narrow its focus. For GG7 project, the GAP Analysis will look at the following.
Research Goals for GG7 Project
- Have a deeper understanding of the gender and social inequalities prevalent in schools and communities we work in and the forms of marginalization, discrimination, and exclusion Next Generation children ages 12-15 and youth (or YwD) ages 16-24 experience.
- Identify gender and social inequalities program barriers(?) participants might face in accessing and participating in S2S programs and reaching program objectives.
- Identify key partners and stakeholders to support efforts addressing gender/social inequalities (i.e. local women’s rights organizations, disability groups, etc.).
- Create actionable recommendations to inform GAP strategy and program adaptations.
- Design GAP strategy based on the results of the GAP analysis and conduct action planning sessions with SC staff, implementing partners and key community stakeholders.
- Create at least one gender transformative intervention or action based on the GAP Strategy and implement. In addition, all program activities will be refined to ensure that they are not causing harm, exacerbating inequalities and to ensure that necessary accommodations are in place to allow equitable access and participation in the project.
- Informing the GG7 MEAL activities, approaches and or methodologies, including project documentation (e.g., data segregation by age, gender, type of disabilities).
In ensuring the objectivity and the efficiency of this study, SC Indonesia needs extra support from consultant to make the process run well and meet the expected objective in this study.
The objectives of consultants in this study are:
- To provide the technical advice in formulating the methodology study and data collection into research protocol report
- To conduct a desk review of GG7 gender studies literatures including some gender and disability study/research reports
- To develop research protocol and data collection tool
- To collect and analyze primary data and generate the findings, using GAP analysis tool. We will conduct Focus Group Discussion (FGD) for 3 group types: Youth with Disabilities, Parents, Stakeholders in Education or Employment. We could not make decision yet at this stage on the number of FGD that will be conducted. While for Key Informant Interview (KII), the number of KII could be decided once FGD completed.
- To develop the study report and provide recommedations for YSTC’s future programming
- To revise the study report based on feedback from the broader team and member-checking with beneficiaries/stakeholders
- To facilitate action plan session(s)
- To write GAP Strategy based on GAP Analysis findings and recommendations along with input from action planning session(s)
- To revise the GAP Strategy based on feedback from the broader team and member-checking with beneficiaries/stakeholders
Scope of Work
A consultant will be dedicated to analyze the research/study. There is only one location involved, it is Bandung City in West Java province. The person is responsible to contextualize adapting the tools into the needs, test the tool, and provide capacity building for SC staff to use the tool. S/he will work (together with SC team) to conduct Focus Group Discussion (FGD) sessions in the intervention areas and for younger youth ages 12-15 could use triad interviews or one-on-one interviews to make them more comfortable, to understand the process and the context of the community, followed by in depth interview. The person will also analyze the findings, compose the report, and provide the recommendation. If resources permit (time, people etc), SC will try to adapt the tools ourselves, then as we plan to use mixed research method, thus quantitative data will be collected first through survey to 90-100 target with 10% margin of error.
Criteria for consultant selection based on competency and experience
We will asses the consultant qualifications based on the following criterias:
- Demonstrated capacity including familiarity with gender and disability issues including the use of social norm exploration tools and successful experience in conducting similar
- Expertise in the topic of Education & Employment for Youth with Disability
- The qualifications of the experts—with require skill and experiences at least for the team leader:
- Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Disability, or related discipline such as sociology, anthropology, international development.
- More than 5 years of professional work experience, as technical expert and advisor in gender equality in development programmes and/or project
- Experience and knowledge on gender and/or disability studies
- Value for money
Research Methodology by considering Covid-19 pandemic situation in Indonesia
Given the fact that Indonesia has not reached its peak for Covid-19 cases, and Bandung city has been categorized into orange zone, so it is still dangerous to do any fieldwork during this pandemic situation. Therefore, GG7 would consider safer options to do data collection through online surveys, online discussion platforms such as through zoom meeting and Whats App group, phone interviews, focus group discussion, recordings, videos, and photovoice. We may also try written diaries, journal entries, etc if proven to be effective and possible.
GAP Analysis Deliverables
- Literature review for context*
- Research protocol with data collection tools*
- Raw data (i.e. from surveys, interview/Focus Group notes, interview/Focus Group transcripts, recordings, journal entries, photos (if using PhotoVoice))
- Draft and final report – required report components includes:*
- Executive Summary
- Background [with some information from the literature review]
- Key Findings and Implications
- Recommendations [as the basis for the GAP Strategy that will be created later]
- Facilitate Validation Workshops
- Facilitate action planning session(s)
- Write GAP Strategy based on GAP Analysis findings and recommendations along with input from action planning session(s)*
*All deliverables will be written in English, except Raw Data and Action Planning sessions
The Consultancy will commence from October 2020 and will continue to the end of January 2021 (3 months).
To apply for this position, please click and go to our career site on External applicant: Click Here to APPLY
Closing date for application is up to October 14th, 2020