SOLIDAR SUISSE JOB VACANCIES 2020
TERMS OF REFERENCE
- Position: DRR Project Coordinator (Consultancy 100%)
- Duty station/Country: Palu, Sulawesi (frequent travels to Sigi and Donggala Districts)
- Reporting line: Response Representative Solidar and Country Representative Caritas
Solidar Suisse and Caritas Switzerland are Swiss NGOs established in 1936 and 1901 respectively. Both organisations are active in development cooperation and humanitarian aid worldwide.
In Indonesia, Solidar Suisse and Caritas Switzerland became active following the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Sulawesi in 2018 and immediately started to collaborate with partner organizations to provide humanitarian assistance.
Both organizations are currently implementing recovery projects together with local partner organizations. For the implementation of a Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) project, Solidar Suisse and Caritas Switzerland joined forces and formed a consortium together with their local partners Muhamadiya Disaster Management Center (MDMC) and Yayasan Pusaka Indonesia (YPI).
The two-year project will be implemented in Central Sulawesi’s Sigi and Donggala districts. The project’s two components focus on i) liaison with district and provincial government authorities to jointly elaborate disaster risk management plans, and ii) implementation of the government endorsed Destana program in 45 villages.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The DRR Project Coordinator is entrusted to coordinate the project team, provide technical and programmatic advice, guidance and leadership for the local partner organizations and ensure the achievement of the set objectives by implementing a high quality project as laid out in the project proposal. The DRR Project Coordinator puts particular focus on liaison with government authorities and on project coordination on behalf of Solidar Suisse and Caritas Switzerland.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The DRR Project Coordinator is entrusted with the following tasks:
- Manage the implementation of the project as planned in the proposal together with the local partners
- Lead the team to high quality performance
- Guide the project partners by providing technical and programmatic instructions and advice
- Develop work plans with project partners in a participatory manner and ensure adherence to it
- Ensure that project activities lead to the set project objectives in due time and in a cost-efficient manner
- Continuously monitor and supervise project activities
- Support design and implementation of simulation exercises in the targeted villages
- Provide on the job training, mentorship and capacity building initiatives to project/partner staff
- Manage budget for the assigned project and ensure all expenses are according to the budget and meet relevant standards regarding financial management, including accountability and good governance
- Ensure proper coordination and communication between Solidar Suisse, Caritas Switzerland, MDMC and YPI
- Provide detailed, accurate and timely progress reports to supervisors on activities, challenges and areas in need of improvement including operational data
Networking & coordination:
- Liaise with community representatives and government officials to ensure smooth implementation of project activities.
- Participate in cluster meetings, operational working group meetings, and other coordination meetings led by relevant agencies
- Ensure regular and efficient coordination with other sectors agencies
- Proactively engage with local authorities, projects partners, community leaders and other relevant stakeholders to ensure good coordination, participation and proper and timely execution of planned activities
Compliance and quality assurance:
- Ensure compliance with rules and regulations of the donor, Solidar Suisse, Caritas Switzerland, partners and Government
- Handle administrative, financial, logistical issues in compliance with organization’s rules and regulations and in close cooperation with respective project staff and
- Safeguard quality assurance throughout the entire project, including the adherence and application to the Core Humanitarian Standards
- Assist in resolving problems and find solutions in a transparent and acceptable manner
- Interact with all project and partner colleagues in a cooperative manner and in a constructive spirit of collegiality based on mutual trust and respect
- Any other task assigned by the supervisors
Required profile and experience
- Master in natural sciences, social sciences, climate change adaptation or other relevant fields
- Proficiency in MS office package
- Robust data collection, analysis and presentation skills
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in project management including field experience and community work, preferably in an emergency context
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in the implementation of DRR projects, preferably in an emergency context
- Very good understanding about Destana program
- Very good understanding about government regulations on DRR and experience in working in collaboration with provincial and district government (e.g. the BPBD)
- Very good knowledge in English language (written and spoken)
- Experience working within a consortium is an asset
- Good personal organizational skills, including time management and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Self-motivated and to work with rural communities
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Motivated and willing to take the initiative
- Loyal, constructive and committed
- Show initiative and actively assume responsibilities, able to plan and organize his/her work independently
Duration and starting date
We look for a candidate who is able to start as soon as possible with contract duration of 12 months, and the possibility of extension (of another 12 months).
Monthly Consultation Fee
The consultant monthly fee shall take into account the following information:
- Solidar Suisse will cover the cost for Air Fares to/from Palu (beginning and end of contract)
- All Expenses such as accommodation, insurances and taxes are included in the consultancy fee
- Working time: 40 hours per week, from 8 am to 5 pm with 1h of lunch break
- Insurance, Taxes: The consultant is responsible for taxes and any social insurance contributions. The Contractor shall maintain liability insurance at its sole expense covering the performance of the Services by the Contractor.
If you are interested in this assignment and meet the requirements, please send your application including detailed CV, and contact details of 3 referees by e-mail with Subject “DRR Project Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the urgency, the position will be filled on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.