WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE JOB VACANCIES 2020
Trees and forests are immensely valuable to cities and their residents. They provide multiple health benefits, sustain water resources, help to combat climate change, and protect global biodiversity. In return, cities can provide immense value to forests. Urban areas, with a high concentration of dwelling and supporting economic activities, have shown emerging public policies and procurement practices of cities that have enormous potential to support the conservation, restoration, and sustainable management of forests. Many cities already support forests in some way, from parks and urban forest to “green infrastructure” and watershed management programs. Fewer, if any, have efforts to support the faraway forests that are vital for combating climate change.
Taking such opportunities, WRI Indonesia, funded by Norway’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI), takes part in the global Cities4Forests movement to catalyze political, social, and economic support among city governments and urban residents to integrate the inner, nearby, and faraway forests into city development plans and programs. The cities4forests in Indonesia is a 28 months program, commencing in July 2019 which will be implemented in Jakarta and Manokwari (with the possibility of replication in Pekanbaru, Palembang, and other cities).
This project hopes to contribute to outcomes and outputs that relate to:
- Developing an evidence-based narrative about the benefits of inner and nearby forests;
- Increasing public awareness on the importance of inner and nearby forests, especially for city’s parks;
- Providing policy support and technical assistance for forest restoration and sustainable management in inner and nearby forests.
WRI Indonesia is therefore seeking a City4Forest (C4F) Urban Forestry Coordinator. The consultant will be based in Jakarta and report to the Sustainable Land Use Manager of WRI Indonesia. The consultant will have responsibilities in project research and knowledge, management and coordination, and communication and outreach functions. Specifically, the consultant will lead the technical works in developing and implementing sustainable urban forestry management, such as developing trees inventory, supporting urban forestry governance, and building local government capacity. The consultant will liaise closely with C4F Account Managers in Jakarta and Washington DC, City Government Agencies, as well as other key partners.
The candidate should have a strong track record leading research and technical work in urban forestry, managing development projects in the city level, and stakeholder engagement and facilitation. He/she needs to possess advanced spatial analysis with strong writing and presentation skills. He/she should be able to envision and execute plans and programs related to urban forestry and green infrastructure. He/she should be a self-motivated, interdisciplinary thinker with a passion for urban resilience and sustainability. He/she should be comfortable in facilitating knowledge sharing and coalition building. He/she should be energetic and agile, willing to learn and respond quickly, outcome-oriented, team player, willing to travel at short notice, and able to engage with a variety of partners and stakeholders.
WRI is seeking a multi-talented candidate for the position of Urban Forestry Coordinator. The consultant will have below responsibilities:
Project Implementation and Coordination (50%):
- Work together with C4F Account Managers to assist in overall day to day project management and process delivery.
- Facilitate project planning and implementation with internal and external stakeholders, particularly city government agencies.
- Manage project coordination, consultations, and technical meetings as well as capacity building and technical assistance activities.
Communication and Outreach (30%):
- Work together with WRI Indonesia’s Communication teams and partners in delivering public outreach, education, and engagement activities.
- Manage engagement in nurturing partnerships and building a coalition among government agencies, NGOs, private sector, universities, and other key stakeholders.
- Facilitate working groups, forums, peer-to-peer learning, and knowledge sharing among participating city governments, and partners.
Research and Knowledge (20%):
- Support urban forestry research consultant in conducting data collection and analysis to support urban forestry planning and implementation.
- Lead/support research works for the purposed of development of blogs or knowledge products
- Relevant project documents, such as research reports, ToRs, travel reports, surveys, memos, presentations, brochures, infographics, etc.
- At least 2 published blogs for the whole contract period
- Minutes of meeting and weekly reports on project coordination, consultations, and technical meetings as well as capacity building attended by government and other related stakeholders, and technical assistance activities.
- Project reports approved by WRI Indonesia and DC submitted in June 2021 and Oct 2021
- Legally able to work in Indonesia
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience, specifically project management with stakeholders at national and cities level.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in environment and sustainability, such as environmental management, urban planning, landscape and forestry, etc.
- Familiarity with Indonesia’s cities urban development paradigms, policies, deep awareness of environment and climate change.
- Demonstrate skills, knowledge, and network to perform the assignment professionally.
- Ability to work both individually and alongside a team; also, ability to enthusiastically work under short deadlines and deliver quality work.
- Strong research and writing skills and ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Fluent in Bahasa and English.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Willing to travel extensively.
- Master’s degree in urban forestry/urban planning OR possess 5 years of full-time work experiences in a relevant field, with proven experiences in project management, outreach and engagement, and research will be advantaged.
- Possess work experiences and network with the Jakarta government and other cities.
Period of Work
This works is expected to be conducted from December 2020 to October 2021.
Terms of Payment and Work Timeline
Daily-rate based consultant with maximum 189 working days for the whole contract period or 18 working days per month on average.
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
Consultant rate: Consultant rate is commensurate with experience and skills.
Qualified applicants should apply online through the WRI career portal CLICK HERE in order to be formally considered.
Application close: 17.00 (Jakarta Time), 16 October 2020. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.