CONSERVATION INTERNATIONAL JOB VACANCIES 2020
Working in 30+ countries globally, Conservation International (CI) Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to empowering societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the good of humanity. We are constantly growing and expanding into areas new and old. We are currently looking to fill the following position for our office in Jakarta;
ELASMOBRANCH & CHARISMATIC SPECIES CONSERVATION STRATEGY MANAGER (EC-SCSM)
The Elasmobranch & Charismatic Species Conservation Strategy Manager will oversee CI Indonesia’s Elasmobranch Program, lead, and manage the elasmobranch conservation activities implemented across sites that CI Indonesia works to ensure that program outcomes and goals successfully reach Conservation International’s (CI’s) priorities.
The elasmobranch conservation programs include scientific data collection, field surveys, monitoring, data analysis, report writing, and designing of conservation measures and approaches. In implementing these programs, the manager is to work closely and build strong relationships with the Indonesian Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF), relevant NGOs, Indonesian research institutions (LIPI and local universities), and local governments to compile the data required by the Ministry to formulate well-informed policies to advance shark and ray conservation in Indonesia.
S/he is responsible for developing and implementing elasmobranch conservation strategies, project management, technical oversight, monitoring, capacity building. The Program Manager ensures compliance with CI policies, program and funding agreements, and local requirements.
The Program Manager is responsible for program development, fundraising, as well as establishing good rapport with central and local governments, donors, and other relevant agencies. Internally of CI, he communicates and coordinates with other Site Director and Managers to develop and manifest a comprehensive and integrated marine and fisheries program.
S/he manages program and project staff and reports directly to Policy, Science, and Program Development Senior Adviser, while working in close coordination with VP Marine, Asia Pacific Field Division.
- Program Management and Development
- Overall management of project activities, including planning, implementation, and assuming quality control through developing and operationalizing effective monitoring and evaluation plans;
- Leading and coordinating the implementation and administration of all projects under this program, ensuring that approved work plans and activities are undertaken in a timely manner in line with budgetary means, as well as adapt the objectives, strategies, work plans and budgets as circumstances dictate, ensuring that end-of-project targets will be met;
- Developing proposals for elasmobranch conservation projects and assisting the Policy, Science, and Program Development Senior Adviser in fundraising and engagement with donors;
- Leading the project and program reporting to donors and relevant government stakeholders, national-level policymakers, and actively participating in the development of regional/provincial level policies and legislation relating to MPA management.
- Scientific Work
- Ensure all scientific work is done in compliance with Indonesia’s relevant laws and regulation regarding research and development;
- Lead and coordinate the elasmobranch satellite and acoustic telemetry, population genetic, and photo-ID based studies on key elasmobranch species, including but not limited to whale shark, manta ray, Mobula ray, thresher shark, hammerhead shark, zebra shark, and sawfish;
- Capitalize upon new opportunities on elasmobranch science, especially those that could provide important input for species conservation and management in Indonesia;
- Policy and Stakeholder Engagement
- Liaising and establishing good working relationships and/or strategic partnerships with key stakeholders such as local and national government, NGOs, private sector, donors, and others to ensure the successful coordination, implementation, and follow-up of project activities;
- Based on the scientific study and survey results, develop strategic management input to both local and national level management authorities;
- Along with CI Indonesia’s Communication team, produce communication materials from the results of the scientific surveys and develop easily understood campaign strategies and tools.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Policy, Science, and Program Development Senior Adviser and VP Marine APFD
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Marine Science, or Fisheries Management and 4-6 years or more related work experience.
- Effective program or project management experience, preferably in the conservation, NGO, advocacy, or related for-profit arena.
- Strong technical and analytical skills.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Up to 2 year’s experience supervising others including multi-disciplinary teams.
- Team player and able to work effectively with diverse works groups in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Success in influencing and partnering with key stakeholders and raise funds.
- Proven ability to multitask and meet priorities. Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and under minimal supervision.
- Fluency in English required.
List additional required or preferred qualifications specific to the position.
- Master’s degree in Biology, Marine Science, Fisheries Management, or related Natural Resource Management
- Previous experience in elasmobranch science and/or conservation work
- Good understanding on species conservation policy work in Indonesia
- Proven track record on leading/implementing previous conservation program or project
- Have good rapport and efficient communication skills with important government partners, including but not limited to MMAF (Marine Biodiversity Directorate, Fisheries Research Centre, and Fisheries Management Directorate), LIPI (P2O dan P2B), Universities, and other related agencies.
- Proven abilities in developing, implementing, and monitoring conservation program with rigorous planning and M&E process
- Excellent problem-solving skill and abilities to provide innovative approach on solving complex challenges
- Passionate about elasmobranch conservation
Please send your current resume and cover letter (no more than 4 pages) to: email@example.com
Please fill the “subject” column of the e-mails in this format: <EC-SCSM> – <your name> Closing date for the application is October 21, 2020 (Only short-listed candidates will be notified).