BUILD CHANGE JOB VACANCIES 2020
- Title: Senior Structural Engineer
- ID: 200813
- Department: Operations
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
- Job Title: Senior Structural Engineer
- Industry: Non-profit/International Development
- Job Location: Indonesia
- Start Date: Immediate
- Term: 6-Month Consultancy
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2004, Build Change is an innovative international non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. We do that by designing disaster-resistant houses and schools; training homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them; working with governments to develop and implement building standards; partnering with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs; and facilitating access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs.
Build Change is the recipient of multiple awards, including a 2017 Skoll Foundation Award for Social Entrepreneurship, OpenIDEO Urban Resilience Challenge Winner, and was a top three finalist in IBM’s inaugural Call for Code Developer Challenge in 2018.
YOUR NEW OPPORTUNITY
Our new project is with the World Bank and is to evaluate schools and hospitals in Central Sulawesi.
“Under this assignment, the World Bank is providing technical advisory services to the Ministry of Public Works and Housing with financial support from the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR). The technical assignment is intended to enhance the project outcomes of recovery activities financed by the CERC under NSUP and CSRRP, assisting stakeholders to assess, identify, and decide on adequate structural retrofitting and reconstruction of select public services buildings. These could include buildings that serve a public function essential to disaster response and recovery operations, and social and communication functions in general; as well as buildings that are used regularly by large numbers of the public, where lifesaving is of special concern.”
The “select public services buildings” are primarily schools and hospitals, though it may also include other essential service facilities.
In summary, Build Change is being asked to provide the following:
- Technical guidance on geotechnical and structural assessments;
- Technical guidance on decision-making processes related to seismic strengthening and retrofitting options;
- Capacity building on resilient construction practices;
- Technical analysis and recommendations on quality assurance innovation and training;
- Awareness-raising and public communications activities related to disaster preparedness and seismic resilience.
- The project is scheduled to begin in early August and end in February 2021.
- The project will be based in Palu and it is expected that we will have a full time presence there for the term of the assignment.
- The project will include rapid assessments of existing structures, interviews with key stakeholders, structural engineering analysis of existing structures, develop retrofit details, develop Bill of Quantity estimates.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- A bachelor’s degree in structural engineering, or civil or architectural engineering with an emphasis on structures, from an accredited university.
Your experience includes:
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in structural engineering.
- Expertise in engineering design of the retrofit and reconstruction of existing buildings, in particular buildings constructed with concrete and/or masonry.
- Expertise in the seismic evaluation of existing buildings.
- Working knowledge of tablet-based data collection applications such as Fulcrum and FieldSight.
- Experience using AutoCAD and Excel.
- Experience using structural finite element analysis programs such as SAP & ETABS.
- Experience in capacity building on resilient construction practices.
You are able to:
- Either be based in Palu, Indonesia or be able to travel to Palu frequently during the project timeframe.
- Accommodations can be made so that the engineer could do some of the work from a remote location (provided that it is within Indonesia) and then travel to Palu to perform the field work as needed.
- Work independently.
- Speak and write in both English and Bahasa Indonesian.
- Work 100% of his/her time on this assignment for first three months, and then between 50-100% time for the remainder of the assignment.
You would describe yourself as:
- Drama-free, optimistic, flexible, humble, patient, and having a good sense of humor.
And maybe you also:
- Have a professional license in Structural Engineering is a plus.
- Have experience using Revit or SketchUp is a plus.
- Have experience in developing technical training programs is a plus.
APPLY ONLINE CLICK HERE