INTERNATIONAL FINANCE CORPORATION JOB VACANCIES 2020
Senior Operations Officer
- Job #: req8707
- Organization: IFC
- Sector: Advisory Services
- Grade: GG
- Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
- Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
- Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Required Language(s): English
- Closing Date: 10/29/2020 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
Private sector development is essential to the promotion of successful and sustainable economies in low and middle-income countries around the world. Sound and efficient markets can ensure that resources are allocated where they are most productive, assisting job creation and spurring economic growth.
Economic growth in East Asia and the Pacific (EAP) has lifted millions out of poverty over the past decades. Yet income inequality remains a challenge. Supporting inclusive growth is one of IFC’s priorities in the region—where our long-term investments totaled $3.4 billion in fiscal year 2018, including $1.4 billion in funds mobilized from other investors. IFC aims to help Indonesia’s private sector attract investments, create jobs, and boost sustainable economic growth with the highest overall exposure in the financial markets, chemicals and power sectors. IFC’s Advisory Services portfolio comprises 18 advisory projects and $34.7 million in funds under management.
IFC’s Creating Markets Advisory (CMA) team works to improve the enabling environment to support both IFC and private investments. Our global experience shows that challenges in the business environment mean that countries lose significant amounts of investment annually, and so our team works proactively contribute to creating effective and efficient market conditions for increased investment. We leverage relationships with the public sector, private sector and the World Bank Group in our client countries to identify, design and implement legal and regulatory reforms and strengthen capacity to address key bottlenecks to private sector engagement and investment.
CMA currently operates across the EAP region, with an active portfolio in Fiji, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Mongolia, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Timor-Leste and Vietnam.
Role & Responsibilities:
In this role, the selected candidate will serve as the Country Anchor for CMA in Indonesia, playing a leading role across the various CMA tools and offerings. He/she will work closely with IFC Upstream, Investments and Advisory staff in Indonesia as well as World Bank staff to design and ensure implementation of reforms that address bottlenecks faced by investors in IFC’s priority sectors, using a variety of WBG tools and offerings. He/she will play a leading role executing strategic initiatives to enhance the CMA practice in Indonesia and potentially across the EAP region, innovate new projects and build new business in line with the WBG/IFC country strategy, and deliver high quality Advisory engagements to the Government and private sector in Indonesia. As Country Anchor, he/she will directly lead the CMA program in Indonesia. He/she will be an integral member of the Country Investment as well as leadership team, and will work closely with key stakeholders, especially the Country Manager, in shaping and executing the WBG/IFC country strategy and delivering high quality Advisory engagements.
The jobholder will report directly to the Manager, Advisory Services EAP.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for delivering market-creating client solutions by leveraging local and regional resources. In this respect, the focus will be to ensure the existing CMA portfolio is responsive to IFC’s investment priorities, as well as to build new business given the potential market and client needs.
Client and Stakeholder Management:
- New business development in line with client and market needs.
- Communicate with top management of the Government and private sector, and articulate the case for investment climate reform that can unlock investment potential.
- Hold knowledge transfer sessions across the region, lead diagnostics with the client and solicit AS engagements in line with IS and country policies.
- Provide oversight of the CMA portfolio in Indonesia and potentially in the EAP region for quality and consistency of approach.
- Work collaboratively with Investment/Advisory Anchors to align advisory to help build a pipeline of investment projects and provide solutions to key portfolio clients.
- Engage with the relevant teams at the World Bank and IFC for reforms needed to unlock new markets and work collaboratively with Upstream teams.
- Provide support in solutions for the EAP Region.
Design and Operationalize Solutions:
- Collaborate with CMA as well as industry specialists in the identification and design of investment climate reforms to unlock investment potential and create markets in Indonesia.
- Review and contribute to the development and approval of relevant project documents and client deliverables to ensure standards and objectives are met.
- Participate in senior level client meetings to provide technical advice and monitor progress in implementing investment climate reforms.
- Leverage relationships with Government officials, private sector and World Bank Group staff to design and implement reforms using existing or new projects and tools to support reform implementation.
- Improve the design and delivery of client solutions by incorporating global best practices and lessons from past. Partner with results team in developing appropriate theories of change and results frameworks and indicators to strengthen the development impact and sustainability of client solutions and continuously learn from client projects/ engagements.
- Ensure high quality of project supervision and completion documents and provide quality control over client deliverables. Moreover, support client in implementing recommendations and help trouble shoot as needed.
Create and Share Knowledge:
- Identify and participate in conferences to showcase IFC offerings and value proposition, which includes serving as panelist/ moderator for internal and external events related to thematic area.
- Conduct research to shape ongoing and future offerings in investment climate reform and develop new tools and guidance to incorporate internal and external best practices.
- Design and deliver training and communication strategy for Investment and Advisory staff to better enable them to be champions for investment climate reform, and for external stakeholders to generate interest in investment climate reforms and understanding of why it is important/ advantageous to businesses, community and/or economy.
- Drive strengthening the value proposition of Advisory products through embracing new trends and partnerships.
- Help build a bench strength of experts and consultants in the thematic areas of leadership across the region.
- Oversee/ supervise assigned staff and consultants.
- Develop technical capabilities of the assigned staff and members of the broader practice group team through mentoring, coaching, structured training program and by providing on-the-job learning opportunities.
- Ensure quality control of work products and outputs
- Determine resources needed to support projects and ensure efficient/ effective use of resources.
- Manage project budgets and align staffing needs.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business, Economics or a closely related field, or professional certification (CPA, CFA).
- At least 12-15 years’ experience in private sector development, with a focus on delivering investment climate reforms in at least 2 regions and across a variety of IDA and non-IDA markets.
- Strong skills and demonstrated track record in delivering advisory engagements in the area of investment climate reform.
- Understanding of IFC and WBG products/ instruments and where there are opportunities for cross-organizational collaboration. Demonstrable experience working on IFC and WBG products will be an advantage.
- Understand the implications of different policy and regulatory frameworks governing the thematic areas.
- Able to design, negotiate and lead efforts to develop client offerings that reflect in-depth knowledge of thematic area and understanding of business case for how thematic focus will help client to improve their business.
- Able to identify how changes in markets, business climate, regulations or emergence of new/ successful innovators/ disruptors may create new opportunities for IFC to accelerate its mandate in a thematic area.
- Thorough understanding of IFC products, what is likely to be approved, and how long it will take. Good understanding of WBG and how to initiate collaborative efforts to leverage its products/ instruments.
- Able to design research and analytical projects or major portion of complex projects to credibly produce new understanding of a thematic issue and/or potential opportunities to unlock new markets or new streams of business.
- Ability to conceptualize and lead research and analytical projects that could ultimately lead to the opening of new markets and/or reframe thinking on thematic approaches to better meet IFC and WBG mandates.
- Able to develop the research storyline that is relevant to and engages targeted stakeholders and mobilizes needed expertise.
- Able to move research proposals and results across functions to ensure relevant aspects becomes anchored and integrated with the work in those functions.
- Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and aptitude to learn new systems is a must. Ability to use project management systems is a plus.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills plus fluency in English is must.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.
APPLY ONLINE CLICK HERE