CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL FORESTRY RESEARCH JOB VACANCIES 2020
Science Communications Intern
- Reference number: 2034
- Job Status: In-progress
- Job Category: Internship
- Duty Station: Bogor
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a Science Communications Intern
The Science Communications internship program provides a unique learning opportunity for students and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds. CIFOR interns have the opportunity to work and gain insights into generating, editing, and curating content and special features for CIFOR’s scientific publications, corporate website and enhance the publications’ quality and effectiveness in attracting and engaging with target audiences, with the aim of increasing the number of downloads and citations.CIFOR.org, which attracts more than one million views a year, is home to the world’s largest repository of knowledge on tropical forests and landscapes, built by CIFOR’s researchers and partners throughout the organization’s more than 25-year history. CIFOR designs and packages knowledge for audiences in new ways. This internship will suit an emerging communicator with an interest in how to translate complex concepts into layman terms, a passion for science communications, and ideas on ways to present content in written, visual and digital forms to better engage target audiences. An academic background in journalism, visual communications, communications design, or similar as well as an understanding of social media and how websites work are helpful.
Duties and responsibilities
- Write and/or edit scientific publications and other materials
- Produce and curate content on CIFOR.org
- Liaise with researchers and project coordinators to support the development of web resources and sites, write and edit copy
- Work with the Social Media team to create content for social media
- Other tasks related to science communication including podcasts, visual materials, events
Education, knowledge, and experience
- Recent graduate of a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, communications design, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English language science communications materials in a range of styles as required (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
- A demonstrated interest in and knowledge of issues related to forests, climate, landscapes, and sustainable development.
- Native fluency informal and idiomatic English; additional languages especially French and Spanish an asset
- Proven skills in social media networking.
- Familiarity with micro-blogging, WordPress, and content marketing
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Effective time management and the ability to think strategically and find solutions.
- Ability to work remotely
- An excellent eye for detail and dedication to quality outputs.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to be a collaborative team player.
- A strong interest in using written and visual work and digital media to communicate complex information to broad audiences, and in gaining skills in communicating science.
Terms and conditions
- This is an internship opportunity for 6 months.
- CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that they comply with the local requirements for working at the posting location.
- CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend or living allowance. The stipend or living allowance provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
- This position will be home-based.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
The application deadline is 01 Dec-2020
We will acknowledge all applications but will contact only short-listed candidates.
APPLY ONLINE CLICK HERE