WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE JOB VACANCIES 2020
The Accountability Framework initiative (AFi) is the collaborative effort behind the Accountability Framework that establishes common definitions, norms, and good practices for delivering on companies’ ethical supply chain commitments. AFI’s key objective is to mainstream norms and good practices for operationalizing corporate supply chain commitments to eliminate deforestation and respect human rights, thereby filling in vital detail that is missing from high-level pledges and accelerating their implementation. The Framework is developed by a coalition of leading environmental and social NGOs in consultation with private companies, government, and other stakeholders. With the launch of version 1.0 of the Accountability Framework in June 2019, AFi shifts its emphasis to supporting and promoting widespread uptake at the global level and in key producing regions. For Southeast Asia, the focus of the Uptake Strategy is to support the application of the Accountability Framework to establish buy-in and ownership amongst regional stakeholders and help mainstream responsible practices within non-certified segments of agriculture and forestry sectors.
One of WRI Indonesia’s key objective is to shift the country toward safeguarding and maintaining its natural forests while restoring a significant portion of its lost and degraded forests and allowing sustainable production of key commodities. We promote no deforestation, no peat, and no exploitation policies (NDPE) throughout all major commodities supply chains such as palm oil, timber, rubber, and cocoa. To further strengthen the cause, WRI Indonesia is currently supporting the implementation of The Accountability Framework Initiative (AFI) as the formal host of the AFi Southeast Asia Secretariat.
Further into the uptake phase, the AFI Southeast Asia Secretariat’s role has evolved to providing more support and coordination to the regional coalition members currently consisting of eleven Steering Group Organizations and Supporting Partners active in the region as they implement the Focused Uptake Strategy for 2021 and beyond.
As the regional coalition building and the various Accountability Framework application continues to progress in the region, the AFi Southeast Asia Secretariat is looking to recruit a Partnership and Knowledge Management Officer. This role will serve the core function of managing coalition and partner relationships and systematizing information on uptake processes by companies and peer initiatives in the region.
The consultant position offered in this Terms of Reference will also contribute to providing coordination support to the AFi Southeast Asia Secretariat activities, including but not limited to the implementation of the Southeast Asia Uptake Strategy, ensuring effective coordination of key stakeholders towards meeting the objectives of the strategy, and undertaking implementation reports of the grant. The consultant will report to the Sustainable Commodities & Business Manager of WRI Indonesia and the AFi Southeast Asia Manager from the AFi global backbone team (BBT) and work with other consultants within AFI Southeast Asia regional team. The work will span for 5 months on a deliverables basis with travel responsibilities, probability of an extension, and focusing on deliverables as agreed by WRI Indonesia.
- Ability to quickly build strong working relationships in the complex landscape of actors working on driving sustainable commodities and supply chains in the region.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and facilitation skills and ability to understand the needs of the different stakeholders including the individual coalition members, companies, and other peer initiatives.
Knowledge management and analysis
- Ability to quickly digest complex and new information and keen on conceptual thinking.
- Strong ability to organize and systematize information paired with good analytical thinking to be able to summarize and communicate succinctly to audiences, monitor and demonstrate uptake progress, and inform decision making.
Project management and communications
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively run programs, ensure timeliness and accuracy of deliverables.
- Good writing capabilities and the ability to succinctly update the team. Writing opportunities include blogs and other editorial content, presentations, memos/email, and reports.
- Strong oral communication and presentation skills; both in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Systematized documentation and content management of all relevant information, documents, and materials necessary for AFi’s uptake processes with coalition members.
- Summary of uptake progress and highlights across coalition members to be delivered in every bi-monthly coalition call.
- Any other communication materials, summaries, and reports needed for outreach and communication to stakeholders in the form of presentations, briefings, and others.
- Consolidation of an engagement resource package for coalition members to use in their engagements with companies and other stakeholders.
- Representing AFi Southeast Asia in meetings, workshops/ trainings for key stakeholders, national and international events, and other avenues that are identified as strategic for AFI.
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience in relevant fields of communications, environment, sustainability, or land use with demonstrated ability to successfully manage and implement projects and deliver high-quality outputs in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant fields. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Experience in managing information, as well as its analysis and communication in high-quality products.
- Interest and strong desire to learn about ethical supply chains and stakeholder dynamics underpinning the progress of the sector.
- Ability to quickly master task management and tracking tools (e.g. Monday.com and google sheets) and video-conferencing and webinar technology.
- Excellent communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English as well as well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities in a dynamic and rapidly evolving work environment.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally when circumstances allow.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia.
November 2020 – March 2021 (5 months)
Terms of Payment
Daily rate consultant with a maximum of 90 working days for the whole contract period or 18 working days per month on average.
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
Consultant rate: Consultant rate is commensurate with experience and skills.
Qualified applicants should apply online through the WRI career portal CLICK HERE in order to be formally considered.
Application close: 1700 (Jakarta Time), 6 November 2020. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.