SOUTH POLE JOB VACANCIES 2020
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all six continents, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems, and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious, and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The Managing Consultant for carbon mitigation projects will be in charge of leading the development of proposals and the implementation of projects within topics linked to climate policy, carbon pricing, and carbon mitigation projects in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context. In this role, you will focus on the successful and efficient implementation of assignments with policy and carbon components to support South Pole clients in achieving their climate goals: leveraging carbon markets, developing mitigation projects, and bringing additional climate/carbon finance. You will be expected to work independently and execute tasks related to the development and delivery of accurate, timely, and high-quality deliverables and services. You will be in charge of understanding the requests of clients that would like to explore the development of carbon mitigation projects across several sectors (mainly forestry, energy, waste, water, and transport). You will also coordinate with project managers and supervisors on how to better prepare proposals and implement projects related to emission reductions. As a Managing Consultant, you will provide technical guidance to the team involved in proposal and project implementation. You will also act as the main point of contact for clients and as an internal coordinator between our Climate Policy and Carbon Pricing (CPCP) and our Project Development teams.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise medium- to large-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling, and closure
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation, including providing guidance and technical support to the teams involved in the mandates
- Interact and build relationships with our international teams within South Pole, ensuring the timely delivery of mandates
- Develop proposals for public and private sector clients – including carbon offset procurement strategies, development of carbon mitigation projects together with project managers and supervisors and senior consulting professionals
- Support business development activities for the company
- Be the first contact point for the development of specific services related to carbon mitigation projects, including feasibility studies, certification pathways on mitigation activities, project development advisory under several carbon standards (Clean Development Mechanism, Verified Carbon Standard, Gold Standard, and others), and monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) activities linked to these projects
- Support the CPCP team in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials, and offerings, including topics linked to international climate policy (Paris Agreement, Nationally Determined Contributions, Article 6, etc.)
- University degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Economics, Finance, or related disciplines, ideally at a Master’s level
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in consultancy or industry, with a focus on environmental policy, climate policy, and carbon pricing, including international carbon markets and climate finance
- Relevant knowledge of climate policy, carbon markets, climate finance, and/or corporate sustainability.
- Awareness of current national and international policy developments with regards to climate change and sustainable development
- Deep understanding of the implementation and management of climate change mitigation projects under different standards
- Advanced project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Proven expertise in autonomously creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Stakeholder and client management skills
- Excellent oral and written skills in English.
- Passion for environmental issues and a good understanding of the international climate policy
- Demonstrable interest in working on climate change mitigation projects, programs, or instruments across sectors and technologies
- Experience working with stakeholders from the public sector
- Industry-relevant connections, with a fair network of potential clients, collaborators, or other relevant stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable, proactive and self-sufficient but collaborative approach to work
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Advanced prioritization and time management skills.
- Other languages will be desirable (Spanish, French)
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find a strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international, and fast-growing organization.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; the South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Jakarta, Mexico City, New Delhi, and Bogotá