INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF RED CROSS JOB VACANCIES 2020
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian network, reaching 150 million people each year through its 192 members of National Societies. The organization acts before, during, and after disasters, crises, and health emergencies in order to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. IFRC’s work is guided by seven Fundamental Principles (humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality) and by Strategy 2020, which voices the organization’s collective vision and determination to move forward in tackling the major challenges that presently confront humanity.
As one of the five decentralized parts of the IFRC Secretariat, the Asia Pacific Regional Office (APRO) leads the support to National Societies of 38 countries, through eight Country Offices and five Country Cluster Support Teams.
The World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic on 11 March, with more than 115 countries reporting combined cases that added up to nearly 125, 000 in total, with 4,700 deaths. At the same time, more than 68,000 people have so far been recovered from the disease. Italy (12,446 cases/827 deaths) and Iran (9,000 cases/429 deaths) continue holding the largest numbers of affected people after China. Several countries are introducing new restrictions of movement, travel bans, closure of educational institutions as well as quarantines for travelers coming from certain countries as precautionary measures.
The government of Indonesia has declared a national emergency of non-natural disaster for Covid-19 on 14 March 2020. The government has increased its efforts in handling COVID-19 by issuing a presidential decree that mandates the formation of a COVID-19 accelerated handling task force, as well as the Health Minister’s decree on protocols for central government and regional administrations. Jokowi has released official Presidential Decree (Keputusan President) No.7/2020 to form the Covid-19 Task Force and appointed Head of BNPB (National Agency of Disaster Management) as National Commander.
Indonesia Red Cross (PMI) and Timor Leste Red Cross (CVTL) were been actively taken significant roles in supporting Government on preparedness and response to Covid-19 emergency operation at the country level. The assigned person will be based in Jakarta (Indonesia) to support Covid-19 emergency operation in Indonesia and Timor Leste.
SENIOR HEALTH OFFICER – Surge – National Staff
- Date of issue: 09 – 11 – 2020
- Closing date: 15 – 11 – 2020
- Duty station: JAKARTA
- Country: INDONESIA
- Contract Duration: 6 (six) months
- Category of Staff: National Staff
- The Senior Health officer will report to the Operation Manager with a dotted line to the Health Manager to provide technical support to PMI and CVTL on the implementation of activities in different areas of public health emergency as outlined in their Domestic Response Plans (DRPs) for Covid-19.
- The Senior Health officer will take the lead in supporting PMI on the day to day implementation of health activities identified under the EPoA, liaising closely with PMI counterparts.
- Technical support to PMI and CVTL may include, but not be limited to, supporting the development of guidelines; undertaking on-line training; guiding the implementation of health promotion activities; advising on psycho-social support programming; advising on case management, detection, contact tracing, and community surveillance.
- The Senior Health Officer will support the extension of PMI medical services including first aid, ambulance, and Hospital to manage the Covid-19 cases with IPC (Infection Prevention and Control) standards
- The Senior Health Officer will support the implementation of IFRC CCST Indonesia Business Continuity Plan (BCP) in certain level of Covid-19 emergency
- The Senior Health officer will also support the Health Manager with liaison with key donors, including providing regular updates and attendance at regular on-line meetings.
- The Health Officer will also work with the PMI branches and Poskos (Emergency Operation Centre) to develop and strengthen its health in emergency services to identify potential health risks, alert and respond to threats and worse outbreaks that may affect vulnerable populations
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Together with Health Manager, understand the public health risks and plan activities responding to the changing phase of disaster response, ensuring integration of health activities (clinical health and public health) with other sectors.
- Support in strengthening the capacity of PMI and CVTL staff and volunteers based on need and in accordance with technical tools, documents, and guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate communication and collaboration with the relevant Sectors/Clusters including Disaster Management, Communication and CEA, resources mobilization, and other sectors within RC movement partners
- The Senior Health Officer will coordinate with Movement partners, government agencies, donors, NGOs, and UN agencies in the country to share information and enhance coordination on technical support for effective and efficient public health response implementation.
- The Senior Health Officer will assist PMI on Covid-19 operation under health activities including pre-hospital activities (first aid and ambulance), clinical services at PMI Hospital, Psychosocial services, and coordinate with the team to provide technical assistance for community health response.
- Under the supervision of the Health Manager, he/she will monitor and implement IFRC health security guidelines which are aligned with the Business Continuity Plan and contribute to ensuring duty of care regarding the health of IFRC staff. The support includes conducting contact tracing for any potential transmission of Covid-19 at the workplace.
- He/she will communicate and work closely with IFRC/PMI/CVTL support services (HR, Finance, IM, Comms, PMER) to mobilize assistance needed for Covid-19 operation, as required.
- Work closely with the logistic team to ensure that any health procurement requirements under the EPoA are conducted in a timely manner and according to IFRC guidelines. This support includes PPE mapping and standardization of health medical devices that meet the national/global minimum requirement.
- Coordinate closely with the Communications officer on scheduled activities to ensure that donor branding requirements are met
- Work closely with CEA/PGI Adviser to ensure that CEA/PGI are being integrated into activities being implemented under the DRP
- Collaborate with the communication team for documentation and publication of IFRC and NS activities and collection lesson learn for operation case study.
- Provide regular inputs into situation and monthly reporting as requested by the operations manager and PMER
- University degree in medical health, general public health
- A Master’s degree in public health is preferred
- Minimum 4 years working experience in health program
- Experience implementing community health programmes
- Experience in supporting disaster emergency operation is preferred**
- Experience working on program implementation with local actors and/or partners
- Experience of working for a humanitarian organization and/or the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is preferred
- Experience in working in developmental contexts and engaging effectively with beneficiaries especially women and children and vulnerable groups
- Experience in supporting project planning & budgeting, supervision, and management to include monitoring and evaluation including baseline and end line.
- Experience in producing narrative and other project reports
Knowledge and Skills
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word-processing)
- Skills in training and developing staff
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Fluent in written and spoken Bahasa.
How to Apply
Please submit your application letter addressing the above qualifications and experience with your curriculum vitae to: email@example.com
Please indicate on the subject heading: Senior Health Officer – Surge