WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY JOB VACANCIES 2020
Wildlife Crime Leadership Training Advisor (CONSULTANT)
Program WCS Counter-Wildlife Trafficking Program
- Location Negotiable, but Thailand, Vietnam or Indonesia preferred.
- Expressions of Interest Deadline: 26th November 2020
- Commencement ASAP
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With a presence in more than 60 nations WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities.
Counter Wildlife Trafficking Program
Wildlife trafficking is having a devastating effect on many species across the globe. It undermines local livelihoods, promotes the spread of zoonotic diseases, weakens the rule of law, exacerbates corruption, provides revenue for violent armed groups and organized crime syndicates, and is recognized as a global security threat. WCS’s approach embodies a long-term commitment to government partners for counter-wildlife trafficking and the protection of landscapes critical for biodiversity.
Wildlife Crime Leadership Initiative
The US State Department’s Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement has granted the Wildlife Conservation Society to develop a Wildlife Crime Leadership initiative (WCLI). The WCLI will combine international best-practice with highly context-specific instruction for government law enforcement leaders in countering-wildlife trafficking. The program is a collaboration between law enforcement instructors, subject matter experts, academics, and government law enforcement training institutions. Delivery takes a blended approach, combining in-person events (COVID-19 mitigation measures dependent) with synchronous and asynchronous online learning. Through this long-term leadership program, officers receive training not only in operational skills to counter wildlife trafficking, but also executive leadership & management skills and an understanding of the value of wildlife.
Scope of work
WCS is seeking to engage a Consultant to provide professional technical inputs to the development and roll out of WCS’ Wildlife Crime Leadership Initiative pilot project being implemented in Indonesia and Vietnam.
Specific activities and deliverables
- Develop content for eight courses from the WCLI Curriculum in coordination with WCS country offices, subject matter experts, our instructional designer, and academic partners. This will include training materials, course outlines, teaching guides, and content for the Learning Management System (10 days per course: 80 days)
- Deliver eight training sessions of the WCLI initiative in Vietnam and Indonesia (56 training days)
- Develop and support the initial roll-out of a monitoring and evaluation mechanism for the WCLI in Vietnam and Indonesia in coordination with WCS country offices, our instructional designer, and academic partners (20 days)
- Provide quarterly updates on progress, and facilitate lessons learnt between the two country programs (15 days)
- Identify WCS country offices that would be suitable candidates for further roll out of the WCLI initiative (9 days)
180 days over ten months until Sept 30th 2021.
- At least 5 years’ experience leading law enforcement training programs
- Experience working with people from different countries
- High technical English language ability
- At least 3 years’ experience with an inter-government agency or non-government organisation
- Experience related to wildlife conservation or counter-wildlife trafficking
- Preferred Credentials
- Experience of adult education (ideally in the field of law enforcement) in Southeast or East Asia
Interested individuals should submit a statement of capacity (no longer than 3 pages) and CV that demonstrates their capacity to undertake this contract including proficiency with similar projects, experience providing similar services, appropriate technical expertise and capability.
This should also include a cost estimate for the services.
Questions and applications should be submitted via email by 1700 (BKK/ICT) on 26th November 2020 to email@example.com.
Please include “Consultancy for Wildlife Crime Leadership Training Advisor” in the subject line of your email.