HIVOS SOUTHEAST ASIA JOB VACANCIES 2020
Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies. For its Hivos seeks qualified candidates for the position of:
- Title: Consultant Graphic Designer for Investigative and Citizen Journalism for SPEAK project
- Duty Station: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Report to: Project Officer SPEAK
- Duration: 10 (ten) months – December 2020 to September 2021
SPEAK (Strengthening Public Services through Empowerment of Women-led Advocacy and Social Audit Networks) is a four-year project co-financed by the European Union and Hivos with the overall objective to institutionalize constructive and effective citizen participation in the planning and implementation of local budgets to better address structural poverty. As media plays an important role in making public procurement more transparent and accountable, a stronger and a more data-driven groups of journalists and media is required. Hivos will work to develop a network of local journalists to report on corruption in public procurement, and follow up on citizen journalist reports.
At the same time, there is an opportunity of collaboration between journalists and citizen journalists to reduce potential of corruption in public budgeting and procurement processes. For this reason, citizens need to be actively encouraged to carry out citizen journalism activities that wilt support the monitoring process. Activities for both the fellowship for journalists and coaching for citizen journalists have the main focus to monitor public budgeting and procurement in education and health sectors. The fellowship for journalists and coaching for citizen journalists have been held in 3 cities in Indonesia i.e. Semarang, Bojonegoro, and Jakarta. Through these activities, 23 journalists have been training which 6 of them have been selected for fellowship and they have accomplished their reports published on their respective media. A total of 135 citizen journalists have also been trained whom are ready for upcoming citizen journalism award. Furthermore, activities for both the fellowship for journalists and coaching for citizen journalists in other three cities i.e. Bandung, Mataram, and Makassar will be started immediately.
Graphic designer will support the production of communication materials for all SPEAK journalism activities to raise public interest, encourage public participation, and increase public awareness on corruption risks in the health and education sectors.
To produce creative and engaging communication materials as part of SPEAK project’s investigative and citizen journalism publication and promotion.
A set of visual kit for SPEAK project’s investigative and citizen journalism activities (digital poster, info graphic, banner, and merchandize designs, etc.)
- To propose the best design for the deliverable communication materials (digital posters, info graphics, banners, merchandizes, etc.).
- To design and produce appropriate and visually appealing contents to engage the intended audience.
- To ensure the alignment of all the contents produced with SPEAK project’s communication strategy and its branding and visibility guidelines.
- To work with related stakeholders under the SPEAK consortium, in publishing the materials on relevant platforms and ensuring that they reach the intended audience.
Knowledge and Requirements
The requirements for the Candidate are the followings:
- An individual with a minimum of 1-year experience in producing visual contents
- Advance skills in operating visual editing software (preferably Adobe Illustrator)
- Possesses good taste and shows evidence of creative approach in graphic design
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to produce contents in timely manner
- Ability to follow specific design guidelines
- Preferably having some experience working in projects related to journalism and/or media
- Experience of working in projects related to transparency and/or gender issue is an advantage
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit an electronic copy of CV (no more than 3 pages), project portfolios (minimum 5 relevant projects), and rate fee.
Documents shall be submitted to email@example.com not later than 1 December 2020.
Please put in email subject: SPEAK – Graphic Designer for Investigative & Citizen Journalism