ISLAMIC RELIEF WORLDWIDE JOB VACANCIES 2020
Terms of Reference
Marketing Specialist Consultancy
About the organization:
Islamic Relief Worldwide is an independent humanitarian and development organisation with a presence in over 40 countries around the globe. Islamic Relief Worldwide is a UK based International relief. We have been fighting poverty and injustice for 30 years, in a world in which over three billion people still live in poverty.
Islamic Relief Worldwide in Indonesia was operation since 2003 following the MOU signing with the Ministry of Home Affairs. The objective of IRW in Indonesia programme is to contribute to the social welfare of the Indonesia people and to alleviate the suffering. The main sector for the program include:
- Water and Sanitation
- Sustainable livelihood
- Child Welfare
- Disaster Risk Reduction
The geographical area are Banten, NTB, Aceh and Central Sulawesi province directly implementing or through partners.
Islamic Relief Worldwide in Indonesia is looking to recruit Marketing Specialist Consultant, based in Lombok – Nusa Tenggara Barat.
Post holder direct reports to: Area Coordinator – NTB Office
Context of this Consultancy
The Mushroom Cultivation and Weaving business Development project is part of sustainable livelihood activities aiming at increasing income of poor people especially the female-headed households in order to lift them up from poverty trap. The mushroom cultivation activities has been introduced to poor communities in Lombok Barat and Central Lombok district since 2014 focusing on producing the mushroom, market it, and process it into various processed product such as crispy, ice cream, satay, etc. And currently the livelihood staff is preparing to implement processed product development into powdering, drying, and canned mushroom. The product of mushroom is directly sold to local market through middlemen who are picking the product on the site and sell it to the market.
The intervention of Weaving Business Development has been also begun from 2017 located in Desa Batujai, Central Lombok District. The activities include capacity building and support for microfinance of yarn to produce weaving products, market it, and produce them into various derivative products of weaving, such as wallet, women handy bags, goodie bags, etc. The products are currently sold at local market.
Starting from October 2018, current project is supporting additional 300 poor households to get involved in mushroom cultivation and 300 poor weavers to get access to microfinance for yarn and weaving equipment. Due to high support to those commodities, the production of both fresh mushroom and weaving product are now abundant. The marketing is one of the biggest challenges in this activity. Thus, there is a need for market innovation in order to sell the commodities in national and international market to improve the profitability of the business for the entrepreneurs for their better living.
The objective of this consultancy is to assist the farmers and the weavers in linking to their potential markets. It can be through linking them directly to their potential markets and building marketing system and/or through increasing the value add and quality of the products’ marketing in term of more developed and various products, better pricing, better targeting of customer and segmentation, and ready promotion means including for national and international market target.
The outcomes sought for this consultancy from the marketing specialist are:
- Link the mushroom and weaving products to potential markets
- Value add of mushroom products that meet with national and/or international market are enjoyed by the farmer groups;
- Higher-income received by the farmer mushroom and weaver groups generated from mushroom business and weaving products;
- Customer loyalty to purchase products from the supported mushroom farmers and women weavers is established from national and international market that can be shown from the long contract generation
- Means of product promotion is functional including online marketing channel.
The outputs to achieve the outcomes as of the following:
- Potential markets for Mushroom and Weaving Products are identified.
- Marketing strategy to increase value add of mushroom product is developed and drafted
- Different derivative product and packaging of mushroom and weaving products that meet national/international standard is produced
- Certificate of fulfillment for national/international marketing standard is produced
- Online marketing channel in two languages (Indonesian and English) is developed and functional for mushroom and weaving products
- A long contract from local, national, and/or international buyers to purchase 50% of the mushroom product with a good price is signed
- A national and/or international exhibition is organized and participated by the farmers’ group to establish long term market linkages.
The consultant is requested to propose the activities to achieve the outputs and outcomes
The timing for the consultancy is expected throughout the project cycle and will start from December 2020 to June 2021 (with the possibility of contract extension for staffs).
Specification for the consultant
- Individual or institution that is expected to stay in Lombok during the consultancy contract
- Experience in setting up and implementation of marketing strategy
- Having vast knowledge and marketing network in local, national, and international level
- Having experience and ability to set up and develop promotion strategy using offline and online media
- Having vast knowledge of national and international marketing standard
Skill and Competencies:
- University degree of economy or social background or related field in Master or Bachelor’s degree in the relevant studies
- Proven years of marketing agribusiness products, related experience in an NGO or a commercial environment
- Preferable in mushroom and/or weaving background
- Proven experience in analyzing, internal control, effective coordination in marketing scope, work experience in multicultural environments;
- Good management skill
- Good writing and communication skill
- Excellent knowledge of computer operation (Windows, Excel, PowerPoint)
- At least 3 years experience for Master Degree or 5 years experience for Bachelor Degree in marketing and business
- At least two years experience in the community approach
- Strong interest in development work with respect for confidentiality and commitment to Islamic Relief overall aims and objectives, including gender, equality, and equal opportunities in all aspects of Islamic Relief’s work
- All Islamic Relief team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field project
- Please send only your application letter, CV, and brief proposal (2 – 3 pages) that explains “How to achieve each of 5 outcomes expected above” to the email address: email@example.com
- Applications submit directly to Islamic Relief Indonesia Office will not be considered. Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
The deadline for submitting applications is: 8 December 2020