ACCION INTERNATIONAL JOB VACANCIES 2020
Accion is currently searching for a Consultant that will work with the Mastercard and Accion Partnership, (MAP) focused on Program Management Digital Transformation. The consultancy will be an anticipated level of effort of 120 days total over the course of 1 year. Local travel may be required. All work with be undertaken in accordance with local public health recommendations and mandates.
Mastercard and Accion established a first-of-its-kind partnership (internally referred to as the Mastercard Accion Partnership; “MAP”) to bring their worldwide networks and resources together to transform millions of underserved micro and small businesses around the world. Through insights, innovations, and investments, the two organizations will power microbusinesses to successfully operate in, and benefit from, the digital economy, leading to greater financial inclusion, economic growth, and job creation.
Micro-merchants, such as grocers and ‘mom and pop’ stores, operate largely in cash rather than safe and secure digitally-enabled transactions. And often, these businesses and the financial services providers that serve them are constrained by onerous, manual processes that are slow and expensive. Without automated tools to accurately record business interactions, store owners struggle to build valuable credit history. This leads to higher default rates for financial service providers, restricted lending, and presents obstacles for the individuals hoping to one day expand their businesses.
By introducing digital technology, services, and training, Mastercard and Accion will help microbusinesses reach their potential, creating greater financial security for the individuals and families who depend on them, as well as growth opportunities for the communities they serve. The partnership will deliver impact through four foundational elements:
- Digitize and modernize the financial service providers that serve this vital segment of society. This initiative will bring efficiency, transparency, and scale to their operations and aims to reach up to 10 million people over four years.
- Mastercard employees will donate time and expertise to help create a greater understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing underserved micro-businesses. This will include research, data analytics, and measurement to inform existing and future programs.
- Mastercard and Accion will facilitate a fintech acceleration program to support startups that will optimize the digital ecosystem for micro-merchants, leveraging the combined efforts of Quona Capital (fintech-focused venture capital firm partnered with Accion), Accion Venture Lab, and Mastercard’s StartPath program.
- Mastercard’s Financial Inclusion Lab will work with Accion to co-create and incubate new products and solutions that help overcome barriers faced by microbusinesses.
- Customized programs across different geographies will be designed to improve the financial health of microbusiness owners, their families, and their communities. In the U.S., programs will specifically focus on overcoming barriers for women and minority entrepreneurs.
The Consultant will be based in Indonesia, working closely with the MAP and Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team members and FSP client(s) in the country and other parts of the region, if required, to support the successful execution of all related activities. Each deliverable is estimated to take 30 days. Activities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Act as GLAS’ point of contact for Accion’s partner FSPs in Indonesia with responsibility for coordination of Accion’s activities.
- Support to Digital Transformation lead and FSP partners with defining and execution of the digital strategy
- Ensure alignment with FSP partner senior managers on implementation approaches and plans.
- Follow up with client(s) for project admin related activities e.g. invoice payments, logistics.
Regular client meetings, follow-ups, minutes of meetings, and project reports.
- Provide project support to Digital Transformation and Technology Leads.
- Participate in the end-to-end delivery of digital strategies and solutions for partner FSPs
- Participate in the user acceptance testing with the customer(s) team
Implementation of the MAP program activities e.g. user acceptances, pilot and rolling out solutions in the field
- Participate in the field activities (Market Research, Financial Health and Responsible Digital Finance)
Successfully coordinate, deliver and manage field activities.
- Undertake research and collect local country landscape information. Participate in learning activities, events and develop report(s).
Country diagnostic reports, competitor analysis, presentation(s), and Report(s) as and when required.
Must have excellent knowledge of current trends in digital financial services preferably in the Asia region as well as hands-on experience of one or more of the following: mobile money, digital payments, digital identity, mobile banking, POS/cards, agent banking, merchant networks and potentially digital lending.
- Strong analytical skills across strategy, finance, consumer adoption, and especially new channels and technology, but must also have experience planning and implementing.
- Experience working in the Asia region; Indonesia preferred.
- Experience working in the social sector and particularly micro-finance and/or digital lending preferred
- Generally 8-10 years’ experience with 5 years’ experience in consulting and/or advisory services with working exposure to financial services, strategy, and hands-on operating experience in challenging contexts.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent multi-tasking skills with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability to use different styles to influence individuals and groups and cause impact.
- Exceptional written, communication, and presentation skills for a variety of audiences; comfort moving seamlessly between executive teams and the field.
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, Finance or Development a benefit.
- English fluency required.
- Excellent project and people skills, especially in multi-cultural environments.
- Demonstrated interest in our mission and in working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect, and passion for social change.
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of — or poorly served by — the financial sector. For nearly 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 160 partners in 55 countries.