THE NATURE CONSERVANCY JOB VACANCIES 2021
We currently have several openings for: SEAWEED AQUACULTURE COORDINATOR
Yayasan Konservasi Alam Nusantara is the main partner of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) in Indonesia. YKAN’s mission is to inherit a sustainable natural environment for future generations by preserving lands and water terrain on which all lives depend on, through management of protected reserved area, vital species habitat conservation, and local communities empowerment.
The Seaweed Aquaculture Coordinator is responsible for supporting the Savu Sea Program Manager to develop a sustainable seaweed program strategy and planning and implementing the strategy and plan to the community in accordance with the SIGAP approach. S/he is responsible for technical aspects of sustainable seaweed, including methods, innovations, and others technical skills and issues of seaweed program interventions at sites, responsible for strengthening the capacity of community and government in implementing sustainable seaweed practices models, conduct or coordinate study/research needed to run and support the development of sustainable seaweed. Directly or indirectly, s/he influences sustainable seaweed into village planning (RPJMDes) and supports the capacity building for various groups to create the widest possible influence on sustainable seaweed practices.
The Seaweed Aquaculture Coordinator will also assist the community/group in building seaweed market networks including coordinating and building strategic partnerships with the private sector for wider seaweed marketing. S/he also monitors and is involved in the development of local regulations that favor the growth and strengthening of seaweed farmers at the local level. The Seaweed Aquaculture Coordinator is also responsible for preparing materials that are needed to encourage the adoption process related to sustainable seaweed practices. S/he is also responsible to support partners—either individual or institutional—that work for sustainable use of marine resources, either research activities or program/initiative activities. Related to her/his responsibility to implement strategy and plan for sustainable seaweed programs, s/he is also responsible for carrying out monitoring and evaluation to ensure the seaweed program remains in its corridors, including monitoring status of primary ecosystems as impact of sustainable seaweed program implementations.
To obtain the highest quality results, the Seaweed Aquaculture Coordinator will work closely with Stakeholder Engagement Coordinator including coordinating on the SIGAP implementation. S/he is also will work together with Fisheries and science units particularly for the works related to seaweed development.
The Seaweed Aquaculture Coordinator directly reports to the Savu Sea and Bird’s Head Senior Manager and is based in Kupang.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience in natural resource management or similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience negotiating complex agreements
- Supervisory experience
- Experience with principles of land acquisition
- Relationship building experience to work closely with a variety of partners, i.e., media, government officials, internal scientist
- Experience completing tasks independently with respect to timeline(s)
- Experience with communication via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages
- Experience using common software applications such as Word, Excel, web browsers, etc.
- Experience in training and curriculum design
- Have experience working with village communities and understanding development planning procedures in the village
- Good written and oral communication skills, including public-speaking skills
- Ability to organize time and manage diverse activities and meet deadlines
WATER CONSERVATION PROGRAM MANAGER
The Water Conservation Program Manager leads the water conservation project(s). S/he builds strategic, scientific, and technical capacity in the field, and develops key partnerships with public and private organizations to identify and resolve technical issues and to widely communicate solutions and best practices. S/he addresses the natural system needs, engage the local community to support local conservation efforts, and negotiate complex and innovative solutions with government agencies. S/he is responsible to provide technical inputs and scientific recommendations. This position also required to conduct field data collection, literature review, reports writing, and develop proposals.
These may include one or more of the following functions:
- Together with his/her supervisor and other team members, develops and implements conservation strategies and institutional best practice that suits with local community.
- Support the development of innovative scientific methods, analyses, tools, and frameworks to meaningfully engage communities in development and natural resource management initiatives.
- Facilitate communities in their initiatives to take part in natural resource management, climate change mitigation, livelihood development, etc.
- Help link communities and village governments with government agencies at the different levels, private companies, NGOs, etc.
- Coordinate with related district, provincial and central governments.
- Coordinate and help build the capacity of local NGO partners, as needed.
- Collect, document, and analyze various types of data and information through focus group discussions, key informant interviews, household surveys, etc.
- Provide technical and logistical support during field trips, etc.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Development & Marketing. S/he will be based in Jakarta.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 7 years experience or Master’s degree in water-related science field (i.e. hydrology, geohydrology, environmental study, geology, geography) and 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including staffing, workloads, and finance under deadlines.
- Good understanding of conservation with landscape planning and payment for environment services (PES) approach.
- Good understanding of hydrology modeling tools such as SWAT, InVest (Natural Capital), etc.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives, and managing performance.
- Experience synthesizing, interpreting, and communicating scientific information.
- Experience negotiating.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups, and/or government agencies.
Please send your CV and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than January 4, 2021.
Please insert the position title you are interested to apply on the subject line.