ELSAM – LEMBAGA STUDI DAN ADVOKASI MASYARAKAT JOB VACANCIES 2021
From 2014-2020, Lembaga Studi dan Advokasi Masyarakat (ELSAM) together with Peace Brigades International (PBI) implemented a program to support human rights monitoring and advocacy work in conflict-prone areas of Indonesia. The program was centered in a capacity-building course for human rights defenders, the Basic Course for Human Rights Defenders, which operated from 2015-2018. From 2018-2020, the program conducted a variety of follow-up activities to consolidate the skills transferred during the Basic Course for Human Rights Defenders. The program was supported by the Civil Peace Service (CPS) program.
The project itself was planned based on extensive evaluations and needs assessments of Papuan and national civil society during the period 2011-2014, and consistently conducted internal monitoring and evaluation engaging both of the implementing organizations; as well as the participants and other stakeholders. An external evaluation was conducted in 2018 covering the period from 2015 to early 2018, when five of the six cohorts had completed their training. A short external evaluation was also conducted to cover specific advocacy and protection work conducted in 2019.
We are seeking an external evaluator to review the period of 2018-2020, including drawing some conclusions about the overall effectiveness of the capacity building program. This external evaluation will follow the standard of Project Relevance-Effectiveness-Impact-Sustainability, including an examination of project management; M&E tools in place; and lessons learned for future initiatives.
We are interested in bids from qualified evaluators working as individuals or in small teams, with a particular preference for those located in Jakarta and/or Jayapura. The combined qualities of the evaluator team should include:
- 5 years experience in capacity building projects
- Significant experience in human rights and field research
- Understanding of the civil society and human rights situation in Papua and nationally
- Ability to travel and conduct FGDs in Jakarta and Jayapura, or willingness to collaborate with local contacts to conduct FGDs online
- Knowledge of programming and project cycle management
- Experience as an evaluator of projects; experience in evaluation of projects conducted in partnership by more than one organization desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in producing high quality written reports
- Understanding of English (to read internal documents and conduct interviews with some stakeholders)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Authorization to work in Indonesia
Members of the evaluation team should not have been directly involved in the design and/or implementation of the projects.
Interested parties should submit their bid to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 February 2021.