WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY JOB VACANCIES 2021
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) works in over 60 countries to save wildlife and wild places through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. WCS has worked in Indonesia for over 20 years supporting the Ministry of Environment and Forestry in conserving Indonesia’s biodiversity in several priority landscapes, by working with relevant government agencies, local communities, schools and universities, and the private sector.
WCS-IP operates a Sustainable Landscapes Program that aims to reduce deforestation threats and improve community livelihoods in priority landscapes through partnering with the government, private sector, other civil society organizations, and communities to develop deforestation-free commodity supply chains. We are seeking a dynamic, highly organized, and experienced Deputy Program Manager to help implement and grow our Sustainable Landscapes Program in Indonesia, to help demonstrate the success of existing initiatives, and to scale them where appropriate.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Deputy Program Manager will support WCS-IP’s efforts to reduce current and future threats to biodiversity and forest integrity in our landscapes driven by the unsustainable production of agricultural commodities. The Deputy Program Manager will support the Program Manager to design and deliver project interventions, which include strategic partnerships and activities that have a measurable impact in reducing these threats. More specifically this includes:
Program strategy development
- Support the WCS-IP Sustainable Landscapes Program to design and adapt strategies in response to threats and opportunities in key landscapes linked to commodity production (including palm oil, coffee, cocoa, rice, and coconuts).
- Support the Program Manager to develop project concepts and proposals.
- Represent WCS in relevant meetings, workshops, and discussions at the local, national and international level, as needed.
- Support the design and development of a set of viable interventions that address commodity-driven deforestation in WCS priority landscapes, while supporting farmer livelihoods and community development.
- Working with the Program Manager and Landscape Coordinators, develop detailed implementation plans for projects within the Sustainable Landscapes portfolio.
- Oversee the BBS KEKAL (WCS’s flagship Sustainable Landscapes project in southern Sumatra) and the development of new landscape initiatives in Aceh and North Sulawesi.
- Oversee the implementation of project plans in line with agreed logframe, timeline, and quality.
- Provide line management and oversight of Landscape Coordinators in BBS, Singkil (Aceh), and North Sulawesi to deliver project activities and financial reports in a timely and efficient manner.
- Support the Program Manager in oversight of the allocation of resources, including financial resources, in line with project needs and donor requirements.
- Line manage the Landscape Coordinators, ensure that projects apply strong social and environmental safeguards in line with WCS policies and those of our partners.
- Work with the M&E specialist to track project progress and adapt strategies and approaches to ensure effective and impactful project implementation.
- Oversees the Landscape Coordinators to document lessons learned from the implementation of project activities and to inform the formulation of program strategy, WCS IP strategy, and other relevant publication materials.
- Work with the Program Manager, Senior Researcher, and Landscape Coordinators to produce high-quality project deliverables and activities reports in line with project implementation plans and donor requirements.
STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATION
- Support strategic engagement with private sector companies, civil society organizations, and government agencies in support of the Sustainable Landscapes Program’s objectives and to advance program development.
- Support writing, publishing, and presenting high-quality research findings and providing data to support communication of project and key impacts and findings through websites, social and print media.
- Working closely with the relevant level of governments in the formulation of policy and regulation to incentivize sustainable production of agricultural commodities and disincentivize deforestation within Singkil Wildlife Reserve.
POSITION: DEPUTY PROGRAM MANAGER
Based in: Bogor
Reports to: Sustainable Landscapes Program Manager
For more detailed information about the Wildlife Conservation Society – Indonesia Program, the position, and how to apply, please visit our website at: CLICK HERE
When you are interested in the above position and consider that you possess the necessary qualification, please submit your job application consisting of updated curriculum vitae, expected salary, three professional references, and a cover letter explaining your interest in this work and/or this organization to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please fill the “subject” column of the e-mails in this format “Deputy Program Manager_(name of candidate)”
Deadline: February 18, 2021
No correspondence, only short-listed candidates will be notified