FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION JOB VACANCIES 2021
Senior Software Engineer – ECTAD Programme
NPP Level: 9
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M & E) Division of FAO ECTAD (Emergency Center for Transboundary Animal Diseases) Indonesia Programme as well as the Technical Teams need support from the professionals but not limited to monitor weekly participant data collection, data updates, ensuring regular timely submission by providing a consolidated regular data monitoring report, and automated regular reports. The M & E Division will also need support to develop M&E system including Global Health Security (GHS) Programme participant database and indicator tracking, other relevant application/platform based on web or other appropriate applications/software. are not going to wait until the workload escalate but it must be anticipated for the upcoming overload activities. The M&E division also requires support to manage day-to-day database and to support the regular M&E data call that required by FAO HQ. More than that, in preparation of data collection to measure the performance indicators as one of project showcase, the M&E division also need assistant from professional to create or develop both on- and offline tools of data collection and data analysis. This is very important to support the completion of reporting system by presenting its performance of GHSP that required by Donor and GOI. Therefore, the M & E Division needs a full time Senior Software Engineer but not limited to build or establish the integrated M&E system and other relevant software or application to support GHSP.
The Senior Software Engineer will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Country Representative, the general technical supervision of the ECTAD Country National Veterinary Advisor (CNVA) and the day-to-day technical supervision of the ECTAD National Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Adviser. Furthermore, the incumbent will work in close collaboration with FAO technical teams, relevant sub-directorates of the Directorate General of Livestock and Animal Health Services (DGLAHS) of Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) as well as other national authorities, and agencies that responsible for conducting Global Health Security Program in Indonesia. The Senior Software Engineer (SE) will be but not limited to a skilled and experienced on software developer, responsible for the detailed design, implementation, and testing of subsystems and system components in complex, multi-vendor, multi-platform environments.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Established and managed an integrated M&E system and other required platforms of zoonotic, EID’s and poultry value chains based on web or other relevant application to support the implementation of GHSP.
- Supervise and assist the Data Information Assistant and other FAO ECTAD team members including operation with programming assignments to establish application and/or platforms of GHSP.
- Provide capacity development for other FAO ECTAD team members including operations, and relevant stakeholders on skill and knowledge in relation of using platform and applications of GHSP.
- Develop tasks accomplishment design and delivery according to output base and met timely manner.
- Provide technical support to the specific program in GHSP and other ECTAD program related to the Information system development, maintenance and interoperability and the enhancement of existing system.
- Interact with other FAO technical teams and representatives of other stakeholders and counterparts (GOI and non-GOI) to understand and/or recommend data interchange formats, APIs, messaging strategies, application server software, as well as hardware and virtual machine requirements.
- Analyze, design and coordinate the development of software systems (including mapping modules) for zoonoses and emerging infectious diseases/EIDs (for animal health and wildlife health) in an independent language which focuses on system performance and a more cost effective product, using advanced technology such as a cloud-based system with synchronization or a distributed-system with limited resources while being adaptable to different programming languages.
- Write, edit, and debug applications required and developed by the project to ensure good performance, correct logic, accurate outputs, while troubleshoot problems and design solutions including reviewing and repairing legacy code to deliver high quality user friendly products.
- Analyze system specifications and translate system requirements and components into task specifications for the software engineer within the context of the larger system and project; as required, act as the focal person when working with external software consultants.
- Develop a variety of software subsystems and components (complex, multi-vendor, multi-platform environments) including modules for spatial analysis, based on provided specifications for an information system of zoonoses and EIDs prevention and control including value chain information.
- Comply with FAO regulation and procedure to procure and secure the applications and software.
- When needed, document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made in database tables on the procedural, modular and database level as needed.
- Provide source code of all database programs developed and a backup copy of all functional database applications on an external hard drive on a regular basis.
- Provide inputs for FAO and donor reports.
- Participate and provide inputs in annual project planning activities.
- Provide an End-of-Assignment report on work carried out.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Key Performance Indicator
- Establishment of task design and delivery
- Conduct capacity development on using platform and/or applications
- Establishment of an integrated web-based M&E system and other relevant platform or applications for GHSP
- Report on M&E system and other relevant platforms reviews and recommendations for GHSP.
- A backup copy of all source code and documentation of all applications.
- End of Assignment Report
Hold a Computer Science or Computer Engineering degree of at least Bachelor’s level or similar technical discipline or equivalent demonstrable experience. Master’s level of relevant discipline is preferred.
Technical Competencies and Experience Requirements:
- Seven years of experience as a software engineer; demonstrated success in developing a variety of software systems while taking on increasing responsibility for analysis, design, implementation and task deployment (with significant individual contribution as a programmer)
- Proven experience in solving challenging technical problems and supporting multiple projects and objectives simultaneously and efficiently.
- Seven years of experience developing data-driven applications utilizing significant relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture (experience with any or the entire following programme is highly desirable: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server; as well as ORM technologies: JPA2, Hibernate.
- Seven years of experience building web-based software systems, utilizing N-tier architectures, dynamic content, highly scalable approaches, and complex security models/implementations as well as using at least one popular web framework.
- Having enough ability and knowledge to comply with FAO regulation and procedures on applications or software procurement and management.
- Familiar with server operation from the iron up.
- Good knowledge on the use of spatial analysis software or other relevant open source GIS software to develop a mapping module for spatial analysis in a web-based environment.
- Proficiency in developing and troubleshooting complex software systems that run in mixed-environments including Linux, Unix and/or Windows on desktop, server, tablet, and mobile systems
Previous experience configuring and using any or all of the following is desirable:
- Web services APIs through web services
- Writing scalable, globally distributed applications
- UI and human-computer interaction design
- Enterprise application integration;
- Content Management and Learning Management System exposure is desirable.
- Experience and familiarity with test-driven development, software development methodology and release processes, document requirements and specifications.
- Experience with development of software application for the medical or veterinary field is desirable.
- Previous relevant experience with other UN project is desirable.
Soft skills requirements:
- Cooperative, thorough approach, multi tasked, results oriented in a tight deadline and a team player to ensure project success with excellent numerical and analytical skills.
- Innovative and able to work independently with minimum supervision in a professional working environment with ability to work to another’s design.
- Possess excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on verbal and written communication especially on the design and implementation of software systems including relevant strengths/weaknesses and reasons for implementation decisions.
- Able to travel to other cities to assist training and workshop as required.
Languages: Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia both written and spoken
Duty station: Jakarta, Indonesia with possible field trips as necessary
Duration: Initially 3 months, with possibility of further extension, subject to satisfactory performance
General Note to All Applicants:
Interested candidates should submit a CV and a covering letter ( In English) clearly stating their relevant skills, experience and email to: FAO-ID@fao.org, Submission deadline: 15th February 2021. All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills. FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment at a lower grade or to make an appointment with a modified job description. FAO regrets to inform applicants that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.