INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION UNION JOB VACANCIES 2021
ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
VACANCY NOTICE NO. 14PROJ-2021/BDT-DDR/EXTERNAL/P2
- Date of Issue: 16 February 2021
- Functions: Associate Project Officer Post Number: PROJ-5038
- Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 16 March 2021
- Duration of Contract: 1 year
- Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment Duty Station: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Grade: P2
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:
- Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
- Partnerships for Digital Development Department
- Digital Networks & Society Department
- Digital Knowledge Hub Department
The office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department is responsible for advising and supporting the Director on the direction and management of the Bureau. It is also responsible for leading all matters related to personnel, strategic, financial and operational planning and reporting processes. The department oversees the work of the Regional Offices, ensuring proper delegation of authority and accountability of the Regional Offices. This department coordinates the holding of BDT conferences and events, monitors the implementation of decisions emanating from the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), the Telecommunication Development Advisory Group (TDAG) or Council, and cooperates closely with the other Sectors of the Union and the General Secretariat on matters of relevance to BDT and the overall work of the Union. BDT Regional Directors report to this department.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the close supervision of the ASP Regional Director, the Associate Project Officer will work in close collaboration with the ITU staff at ITU Area Office for South-East Asia and Timor-Leste, Jakarta, the ITU Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ASP) in Bangkok and ITU Headquarters in Geneva to provide support in the implementation of projects. To this end, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Provide support in the implementation of project(s) on ITU Asia-Pacific Regional Initiatives (2018-2021 and beyond). Conduct studies; provide technical analysis and support; write guidelines, toolkits and reports on ICT for development areas such as telecommunication/ICT networks, enabling environment, policy and regulations, digital applications and services, digital inclusion, digital skills, digital innovation ecosystem, emergency telecommunication, climate change and other relevant to the projects.
- Provide technical support in the development of an overall implementation plan.
- Draft terms of reference for experts and support coordination of activities relating to this DITRDC funded project in the Asia-Pacific region; prepare progress, and any other reports as required regarding the project activities; draft reports on the assessment of the results of the project activities and evaluation of their impact at the regional level.
- Prepare concepts notes, new projects for support from partners and liaise with those involved in the project implementation.
- Monitor adequate participation of stakeholders and provide support for the coordination of mobilization of the required regional resources.
- Provide support in the timely provision of inputs for personnel, technical support services, subcontracts, training, equipment/supplies, and other needs related to the project’s operations in line with the project’s work plan and procurement plans.
- Contribute to the preparation of project work plans, monitor progress and, where necessary, identify and propose corrective measures to overcome operational constraints; contribute to the timely preparation and submission of project progress reports.
- Participate in the review of the modules and make recommendations for development and organization of regional workshops.
- Provide technical support for the effective management of the ITU project budget.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Networking and Building Partnerships; Planning and Organizing, and; Successful Management.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Good knowledge of project cycle management (e.g. experience in project document development and implementation). Excellent research, communication, and project management capability with a good overview of digital technology for development ecosystem.
- University degree in business administration, international development, management, science, arts, commerce, engineering, programme/project management, information technology, information systems, or any relevant area of study to support knowledge in programme/project management/IT and telecom systems or a related field OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in the field of the post, including at least two at the international level. An advanced degree in a related field can be considered as a substitute for one year of working experience. A doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience.
- Knowledge of English at advanced level is essential. Knowledge of a second of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) would be an advantage (Under the provision of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
- Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
- Annual salary from $ 47,895 + post adjustment $ 15,087
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to CLICK HERE
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening.
APPLY ONLINE CLICK HERE